Basic grocery store recipe...need feedback, please.

wookie130

I'm trying to throw together an inexpensive and very basic "grocery store" recipe for CP soap, and I'd like to hear from anyone who uses a very similiar recipe. I've run in through a couple of lye calculators, and it looks decent for hardness, conditioning, bubbliness, creaminess, what have you, but I'd like to hear some comments from some REAL LIVE EXPERTS!!!!!! :smiley2:

Here it goes, and believe me, it's not fancy!!!

24 oz. Olive oil

12 oz. Coconut oil

12 oz. Lard

6.75 oz lye / 17.9 oz water (5% superfatted)

What do you think? Does anyone use a similar or the same recipe? If so, how is it for a good every day bath soap? Drying? Not bubbly enough? I'd appreciate any feedback or comments. Thanks!

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. I just want to try something really basic and inexpensive...for once! :smiley2: I like using shea butter, palm, and apricot kernel oil in soap, but the shipping is too much $$$ sometimes for me.

Thanks again!

hi wookie,

when you buy olive oil in the grocery store, what kind do you buy? since i started soaping i've noticed there are LOTS of different kinds.

the other thing i was wondering about is the amount of lye needed. do all the olive oils need a similar enough amount to be safe just using what comes up in soap calc? i superfat at 5% so i guess that would help some, but i wonder if anyone knows for sure?

i can't be any help 'cause i'm new to CP, but i think a grocery store recipe is great and yours is very simple. i'd like to try it! if barbara says it looks good, i'd have to believe her. her soaps look totally awesome and i'd bet they are just a wonderful to use as they are to look at! her castor oil suggestion is a good idea, i put some in every soap i make, tho i've not done a lot of batches. and it's another easy to get ingredient.

good luck, let us know how it comes out!l

ei

I agree on the castor oil too.

My simplest recipe is my best one now and I'm new to this too.

45% palm kernel or coconut-the grocery store by me has a great new coconut organic brand by spectrum. It's in the organic baking section.

25% oilve oil (pomace)

25% crisco

5% castor oil

If I feel like it should be softer I add 5% of unrefined shea and take out 5% crisco.

This is my basic recipe and it works great.

Drewsmom, that recipe sounds really great too!!!

To answer the question about olive oil, I just use the cheapo "Great Value" off-brand stuff from Wal-Mart. I have no clue as to whether this makes a difference in a lye/ soap calculator in terms of different varieties of olive oil, but I've had good results.

Oh, and I'll definitely throw some castor oil into the mix! I do like my bubbles!!!