Vanilla Stabilizer

OverSoyed

With the chance that most if not all fo's have some amount of vanilla in them, is there any harm in adding vanilla stabilizer to every batch?

With some of my recent batches, we did get some darkening, which is fine for most of them as they are supposed to be brown or tan, but my beautiful banana now looks like it's a banana that's been out in the sun WAY TOO LONG. :(

Cost wise, it's only an extra $.50 or so per ounce... which it a lot better than wasting an entire batch of soap.

Your thoughts?

I am with you. It is a minor cost for peace of mind. I use vanilla stabilizer in roughly 75% of my batches regardless of whether vanilla is a known component in the fo I do not use stabilizer in tried and true florals.

I will never forget a hideous colored batch that I made a couple of years ago. I had no clue that vanilla was in this sort of scent. When I put the stabilizer in a couple of months later, the color was as it should have been.

I also add to every batch, vanilla or no vanilla. I noticed on my floral/designer types that they would yellow over time so I add stabilizer to those also. Works every time but I have never noticed a chemical smell during or afterward. Maybe we use different brands.

I also add to every batch, vanilla or no vanilla. I noticed on my floral/designer types that they would yellow over time so I add stabilizer to those also. Works every time but I have never noticed a chemical smell during or afterward. Maybe we use different brands.

Where do you get your vanilla stabilizer from? I don't want a chemical smell either.

I have never had any chemical smell reported to me. I use the stabilizer at WSP. Works great. I use it constantly without issue. I do put it in some florals that yellow over time. (FYI, Honeysuckle is one of those florals.) If it gives you peace of mind, put it in every batch. It is so routine for me to use stabilizer and it really saves you the headache of screwed up batches.

Vanilla is clearly a filler oil in a lot of scents. I would guess this is because it blends well with a variety of fragrances. It also can go unnoticed when another scent is dominant.

I have only tried three stabilizers that I can recall. I have used vanilla stabilizer from WSP, Bittercreek, and Brambleberry. All work exactly the same for me. I use WSP exclusively now because they are a main supplier of mine and it just makes sense dollar wise.

• 2 weeks later...

I have never had a batch brown at all with the stabilizer in it. Then you must use more. The base can take it. I always add in a bit more and slightly alter my recipe to accomodate the added stabilizer. Some heavy browning scents require more.