Another firestater question

serenamarie

Each of the chemicals listed below makes a different colored flame, and different chemicals cost more than others. You can do one of two things for adding the chemicals, you can either brush a little glue along the edges of the pinecone scales and roll in the chemical or you can soak the pine cones in water to which one of the chemicals listed below has been added. After the cones have soaked up all the liquid spread them out to dry. Mix as much of the powdered chemical into water as will disolve. The exception is sodium chloride (table salt) which is mixed one half ounce salt to one pint of water to produce yellow flames.

• Yellow flame - Table salt – The grocery store. You can use the same stuff you fill your salt shaker with.
  • Yellow-Green flame - Borax (sodium tetraborate) –– 20 mule team borax, in the laundry aisle.
  • Violet flame - Salt substitute (potassium) – The grocery store.
  • White flame - Epsom salts (magnesium sulphate) - Wal-Mart and similar stores or a pharmacy.
  • Bright Green flame – Allum (thallium) – Try the pharmacy. It’s for food processing (mostly, pickle making), but natural food stores charge a ton for it.
  • Bright Red flame – Strontium chloride – Used in aquarium keeping somehow, so check a specialty aquarium or pet store.
  • Deep Red flame - Boric acid. You can buy Boric Acid in Wal-Mart and similar stores. It is usually in the first aid section. Do not buy Borax which is not the same thing.

HTH :)

Thank you so much for clarifying this all, I appreciate it. So the color will last as long as the firestarter does? Can I also get pinecones, like the cinnamon ones they sell near xmas, soak them, leave dry, and then coat with red or green wax with a wick?

Another question, I would like to make red and green flame pinecone firestarters, so first i would soak the pine cones, leave dry, then dip in wax - now my question is say a medium size pinecone, how long does this last in a fireplace? Thanks for your opinions.

You might want to make some and then burn them in an outdoor pit. My firestarters usually just start the fire and then they're gone. I can't give you an exact time. Depends on the size of the pine cone, the type of kindling used, etc. If you're going to sell them, you should test them.