making crystal rock potpourri

Debbie73

Do any of ya'll make crystal rock potpourri? This is the rock type. The chunks are in various sizes. The recipe I am using is:

1 lb rock

1tsp glycerin

1/4 oz. Di-Propylen Glycol

1/2 oz to 1.5 oz Fragrance

What I am wondering, is could you just use FO and color only? This recipe actually calls for candle dye, but I have seen other recipes using soap dye. I put the rocks in a plastic container and then mixed all the liquid ingredients together and poured over the rocks, closed the jar and shook well. I did this several times during a 24hr period, then took them and spread them on a cookie sheet covered with paper towels and blotted....a lot!! I did use 1 full oz. of FO, but it was still under the suggested amount.

Also, about how long should these last and how do you go about refreshing them. Thanks much your help! :cheesy2:

I presume this is using salt rock crystals?

We just added food colour and fragranced oils to our crystal pot pourri - nothing else, and made little sachets to hang in cars or wardrobes etc.

We found that the scent lasted up to three weeks before needing a boost of refreshing.

However we found that the essential oils lost their fragrance MUCH quicker than the fragrance oils.

For what we are doing the food colour or liquid candle dyes work quite well. We sell this as one of our cheap lines at the front of our stall at the markets. Gets the people in who like cheap....LOL

Cheers

Richard

I am curious, what is mica? Also, for those of you that do sell these, do you also sell the refresher oils with them? I have seen some sites that claim there crystals will last a couple of months, then they suggest using 1/2 bottle of refresher oil to bring back the sent.

Ok, one more question. (I hope!) When the sent is totally gone from the crystals, could you sent it with a different FO? I just think that these are so pretty and an alternative to traditional potpourri. Thanks to everyone!:yay:

Yes, that is the web site. I tried and cannot get it. i just got my order in from Salt Works. I ordered the xxlarge and jumbo. In an after thought, I did order the colossal, which cost me $9.95 more in shipping, how dumb was that! I am using the same recipe I used in the above post. I have it in a mason jar and shake it every once in a while, I will continue to do that for 24 hours. Then I will use a colander to drain the remainder of the liquid, put them on paper towels and blot, but I am going to leave them out to air dry, this time. I can't remember if it was the propylene glycol or the glycerin that helps the salt rock to retain the fragrance for a longer period of time. I think even if you use just FO, it can't help but have a little bit of film on it. The first ones I made really were not bad, just a tiny bit of film. I will keep trying to experiment. :)