Trying to replicate a scent, need tips

Darling_Rose

Hi,

I'm a new member. I just joined. I'm still relatively new to candle making. I have a scent related problem though. My first candle creations were unscented and seemed pretty successful. I've given them away as gifts.

As I've been getting more practice I've started making candles with some basic scents like rose, jasmine, gardenia, that sort of thing.

Recently though a company I used to get candles from went out of business. I had been waiting a long time for them to bring back a seasonal candle called Sacred Space and now it will never return.

So I've been thinking of making my own. The trouble is how to figure out just how the scent is blended and what it is made of. I still have some of the candle left. I believe it was a soy base with sandalwood, patchouli and something else. Unless someone's got a really good nose or a chemist who can dissect the recipe, I'm stuck. I've been experimenting so long I think I've just confused myself on the smells.

Does anyone have any tips or has this type of candle still and knows what the scent blend is? Any advice is appreciated.

PS> I did write the company and ask what was in it, but they could not give me that info.

Welcome to the board! :)

Wish I had an easy answer for you. Personally, I have never heard of that fragrance, but maybe someone else has. I have searched tons of supplier sites over the past couple of years and have just not run across that one. I guess the best I could suggest is to start experimenting and see what you come up with.

Good luck, and again...welcome!

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Same here in the searching, and Me neither in the finding. So I thought I'd ask. I hope someone else more experienced than I has owned one of those candles. They came from the company called Illuminations, but they are all gone now. I can't even find any left over on ebay.

I've been experimenting now and then, but I drive my housemates nuts with the smells. Something or other is always too strong for them and they say it doesn't smell like my candle hardly at all or not enough. So I must be missing some other scent in there. Maybe my nose is burnt out for the time being. I thought maybe someone can let me know what I might be missing while I'm taking a break from the candles.

The best thing I learned when trying to blend my own scents is the "q-tip" test. With this you just dip the end of a q-tip in the scent you want to use then put all the different q-tips in a ziplock bag to "blend" for a little while then open and sniff in the bag. This allows you to tweek it to your liking before you put it into wax/products and add or subtract scents (or more of a particular one) to get the fragrance you want. This trick has saved me ALOT of supplies over the years.

Good luck with finding something close to what you are looking for!

The best thing I learned when trying to blend my own scents is the "q-tip" test. With this you just dip the end of a q-tip in the scent you want to use then put all the different q-tips in a ziplock bag to "blend" for a little while then open and sniff in the bag. This allows you to tweek it to your liking before you put it into wax/products and add or subtract scents (or more of a particular one) to get the fragrance you want. This trick has saved me ALOT of supplies over the years.

Good luck with finding something close to what you are looking for!

That is a great tip! How do you go about labeling your q-tips so you know what you want to pull out or leave in?