Are all CD wicks the same?

I have been looking at the classified section and whenever people post for items for sale, they post where they purchased it from. I can understand doing that for FO since not all suppliers make their FO's the same, but what about the wicks or even wax? I noticed some wicks that I may be interested in purchasing, but don't want to if I have to do extensive testing with them again every time I purchese wicks from a different supplier

Yes, all CD (Stabilo by Heinz-Verhaegh) wicking is manufactured by the same company. What suppliers and distributors do with it once it leaves the manufacturer does vary.

Your subject asks if all CD wicks are the same, but opens a larger issue. It is wise to always test a new batch of ANYTHING, especially when purchased from a different source. You have the choice of finding out on the test that something is different, or ruining an entire batch of product because ya didn't bother and ASS-U-MEd...

Because many hobbyists are purchasing small quantities of materials, they do not have batch or case or lot numbers upon which to rely to check out if products seem inconsistant. Testing is the only way they will know if the *new* materials work the same as the *old* materials did.

I don't consider it "extensive" testing to make a test candle with a *new* material or ingredient. That's just business as usual...:rolleyes2 I test each new case of wax unless it is from the same lot number as the last case I used. I test each new pound of FO to be sure it works the same as the last pound I bought from that same supplier. I ALWAYS test products from new sources, period.

What I DON'T do is test a *new* FO, wax and wick in the same candle. I test ONE NEW THING AT A TIME.

Rebeccajo, you are just gonna have to realize that testing is a continual process when you are a manufacturer!!! Ongoing testing is part of making quality products. It's a fact of life.

no, i understand that testing is going to be ongoing. Don't get me wrong on that. I was wondering more if I have to retest every scent every time I buy a new stock of wicks or wax or can I limit it to select scents? (like the first ones I pour from the new batch) Does that make more sense?

For example... Let say I have Sweet Pea and Amish Harvest sucessfully wicked, but need to buy some more wicks to continue testing new scents or even make some more Sweet Pea and Amish Harvest, do I have to test another candle or two each in Sweet Pea and Amish Havest, or can I do just Sweet Pea to see if the wicks are OK. (or wax if I had to puchase that instead of the wicks)

Hi,

When I purchase new wicks, I will usually test one of my harder wicking scents to re-test. Sometimes I will test two scents, but not usually.

Everyone is probably different, but I have found that if i use wicks from a different supplier, I have never had to change from the initial wick size that I was using. As long as the wicks are the same. ie: CD, HTP etc.

Michelle

Thanks Michelle.

I don't have anything sucessfully wicked yet, but I hope to very soon. My sample pack of one of my wick sizes is almost gone, so I have to order more. I'll just stick with who I ordered my sample pack with for now since it sounds like there may be some fluctuation with different suppliers and I don't want to go too much on a wild goose chase like I did earlier in my candle career. Hopefully when my pack of 100 is gone, I have at least a couple of scents wicked:yay:

Actually they can be different from supplier to supplier. I personally buy my LX wicks from the same supplier, Candlewic, as I had a problem with the same size wicks I bought in a pinch from Bittercreek not burning the same. Suppliers don't have the same wax coating on their wicks and that can make them burn very different. If you find a supplier's wicks you like........stick with them!! :cool2:

When I get new wicks from the same old supplier, I give one a test whirl to see if it's wicking the same as the other ones before. I don't retest every scent!!! That's not necessary!! Just give new stuff a quick test to ensure the materials are performing the same as you are accustomed to before cranking out a bunch only to find that something changed... *faint*

If you find a supplier's wicks you like........stick with them!!

I soooo agree with this!! Whether it's wicks, FOs, etc., I tend to find one supplier I like and keep hitting them for that item.

I am sooooo not patient and it has gotten me in trouble many times in this line of work. I wasted 7 months because of it. This month I am really trying to keep focused on what I am doing. I'm sure the candle won't last the week that I want it too, but at least it will be longer than it will be if it stays on the counter:laugh2: