Adding scent

I am new to candle making.I make scented soy container candles.Does anyone know the best temp to add scent.I heard you should add scent around 175f to help the scent blend with the soy wax.I also heard to add the scent at a lower temp so the scent does not evaperate.please help:confused:

That's a good temp. to add your FO's and I always heated my soy to 175-185 with no problems, then let it cool before pouring in my containers. If you add your FO at a low temp. you run the risk of it not binding properly with the wax. :cool2:

I agree with Chris. The instructions on my waxes always said to add the FO at a cooler temperature - around 135 if memory serves me correctly. However, once I started to add my FO around 175 after having had that suggested to me, I noticed a huge difference in my hot throw. I think its generally best to add it at bit higher temp so it will bind with your wax. I think that lots of us that have been at this for quite some time would recommend adding FO at a higher temp than what might be suggested.

I have to add my vote for adding at a higher temp. I usually add at 185 and stir for at least 3 minutes. The HT seems better that way. It took me a lot of reading and testing to figure that one out.

This may get me strung out to dry, but I'll say it anyway.

Yes, adding scent at a higher temp. may help the FO bind to the wax better, but manufacturers have recommendations for a reason.

The thing that jumps out at me in our litigious society is being sued over a defective candle causing a fire for whatever reason.

All it would take is a prosecutor to ask a defendant the manner in which they produce their product, and under oath, you tell them..

"Well, I know that the manufacturer recommends our soy wax be heated to 145-150 degrees, but I heat it to 25 degrees higher in order to get a better scent throw."

Regardless if that can be the proven cause of problem, in many cases you lose because it can't be disproved.

Just my two cents! :tiptoe:

The range (130°F-200°F) that the manufacturer suggests for my wax, NatureWax C3, allows me to add FO at 180°F. I then stir until the wax cools to the high end of their pouring recommendations, 120 to 165°F. I believe the higher heat plus all the stirring helps blend the oil into the wax mo' better. Works for me, anyhow. :)

• 1 month later...
The range (130°F-200°F) that the manufacturer suggests for my wax, NatureWax C3, allows me to add FO at 180°F. I then stir until the wax cools to the high end of their pouring recommendations, 120 to 165°F. I believe the higher heat plus all the stirring helps blend the oil into the wax mo' better. Works for me, anyhow. :)

I agree at first I add my fo at around 130F and the throw was not great. I just made a new batch of candles with the fo added at a higher temp. and they were so much better.

I agree with Stella except that I have found with C3(I switched)lol...I always temper my wax to 200* then I let it cool back to hard wax stage then i heat it back up to 200* again then pour wax in pouring pot immediatly add my fo and stir,stir,stir then pour(I don't use color unless requested).My tops come out perfect everytime..smooth as a baby's butt! The only time I have had a problem is with the designer fo's I bought..IDK why..the wax turned really brown and lumpy..I haven't figured those fo's out yet..not much of a demand for them.Just my 2 cents..

Kimmeroo