wick questions...

Hello Everyone,

I have a few questions...first, how can you really tell if your wick is "clogged"? will it burn differently or look different or smell different??? also, is it safe to say, when testing..and you have a small / med / or large mushroom on top of wick, does that mean you do not have the "right" wick size or type for your candle combo??? I know that dye and FO contribute to the wick not burning properly I just wanted a little advice what to look for

(or will all wicks have some type of carbon build-up???)

TIA

Jenn

** I forgot to say, I am using 464 and cb adv. combo and have used eco, rrd and cd wicks***

Unless you have a microscope, you will probably not be able to definitively identify wick clogging. It does help to learn about how wicks work. The page below from Heinz, manufacturer of CDs & CDNs (Stabilo series) is VERY informative...

http://www.heinzverhaegh.com/id79.html

It covers the basics about wicks, how they make 'em, treat 'em and common improper wicking conditions.

Because wicks work by capillary action, it only stands to reason that particles of anything can clog a wick. Veggie waxes themselves, because of their high acid content and viscosity are more difficult for a wick to burn completely. Dyes contain particles of pigment. Mushrooming is caused by incompletely combusted material. It can be FO, wax, additives or anything that is contained in the candle which doesn't burn completely. ANY wick CAN mushroom! After lighting, the part of the wick that turns black is carbon! A little bit of a draft can cause mushrooming...

Reading wicking manufacturers sites can help a candlemaker decide which type of wick is most suited for a particular application.:read: It isn't that another wick won't work, but some DO provide more trouble-free performance in certain conditions than do others. That's why I like CDNs (Stabilo KSTs) for the veggie waxes I use in the candles I make. HTH :)

Thank you stella for the reply....I found that article and read it first before I posted my question because I did not feel it gave me what I am looking for....(although it was very informative)...thank you anyways for the response.....

I'm a retired professional bread baker and candle making reminds me so much of my past profession.

The "touch" that some bakers have is God-given, I think! I've been kidded over the years about my comparisons of candlemaking and cooking, baking, etc., but it's all very similar to me, too! Some folks just instinctively *know* how to make it all come out beautifully! The rest of us have to really try hard, study, test, sweat, etc.

I found that article and read it first before I posted my question because I did not feel it gave me what I am looking for

Sorry you didn't find the answer you were looking for, Jen... I thought we covered them all... :)

stella, THANK YOU for your help.....I know you said you use the CDN wicks....do they "mushroom" for you??? or am I just needing to do more wick testing to get rid of the "mushrooms":confused: ......I have decided I do not like the Eco and rrd's...I do like the cd's (I will have to try the cdn's)...I can't figure it out....(I have everything the same to test) if my wick is a size bigger than I get no mushroom but, I get a jar that is TOO HOT!!! and if I go a size lower in the wick I get a mushroom and the jar is fine :rolleyes2 ....am I looking at this the wrong way??? please any more information you would be willing on sharing with me I would be greatful!!!!

THANK YOU AGAIN!!!!

Jen

CDN wicks....do they "mushroom" for you??? or am I just needing to do more wick testing to get rid of the "mushrooms"
Jen, sometimes CDNs mushroom like any other wick. Like I said, because this is a function of incomplete combustion, it can happen to any wick! I don't worry about a small amount of shrooming, particularly during a "power burn" where the wick is not trimmed and burned continuously. Some FOs shroom worse than do others, especially when there's a lot of dye in the candle. Honestly, I don't worry about small shrooms. They generally do not occur unless the wick is too long, so keeping the wick trimmed to a reasonable length (~1/4") is important. Because CDNs & CDs are self-trimming, it isn't unusual to see a small shroom at certain points. I have way fewer problems with palm wax candles shrooming than I do soy-based wax candles. Perhaps the viscosity of soy tends to enhance shrooming in general, or perhaps it's simply the wax blend that I use...

The balance between good throw, clean container sides, minimal shrooming and container temperature is the big issue with container candles. The particular wax blend, FO, additives, container shape/size and the wick used all have to work together. Sometimes we may make compromises to balance all these factors. For example, in a taller container, I may allow the container to become a *little* warmer than I would ideally like, to achieve the throw and clean burning properties that I want. Most times I would rather tend toward underwicking a candle than overwicking for safety reasons. Finding that balance can seem elusive sometimes.

One thing you haven't mentioned is the container size/shape you are trying to wick. I think container choice is a big issue that doesn't get enough attention. For example: 8 oz. standard jelly jars and 8 ounce widemouth canning jars. Both hold the same amount of wax, but do not wick the same. Because the JJs are taller than they are wide, we find they are more unforgiving about different FOs & colors than are the widemouth containers. We nearly always use the same wick on our widemouth containers, regardless of fragrance or colorant. Not so with the same size jelly jars. They are more finicky.

The diameter of 8 oz. widemouth canning jars and 16 ounce widemouth canning jars is the same, but the 16 oz. container is harder to wick because it is taller than it is wide.

I think many new folks become disenchanted and frustrated trying to wick because the container they have chosen is more difficult to wick. Generally, containers with straight sides (or gently tapering at the bottom) and no taller than the diameter are the easiest to wick. Containers with shoulders, narrow mouth openings, etc. can be more tricky because of the air currents and O2 content inside the container. Tall containers with narrow openings also tend to catch soot more easily than do straight sided, squat containers. Choosing simple, easy to wick container sizes/shapes for our first candles helps to avoid frustration and to learn more easily how to make that *perfect* candle. HTH :)

Stella, I am sorry, I am using a 6oz hex jar about 2 3/4" diameter.....I know the JJ's and masons are "not as tricky" to wick, but I really wanted to try a different look and that is why I am using the hex jars..... I know I am new at this but, I am up for the challange.....(I think) LOL... anyways, I tried the cd8 (too small of a wick)...cd10 (has a large shroom) ... and the cd12 (small shroom and the glass is soooo hot that, you cannot even touch it) and the scent is lilac from CS also, I am "testing" this scent...not a power burn on it yet.... I am sorry to bother you with this....I really do appriciate you taking the time to respond to me though!!!!! (I always thought soy wax will not shroom and give off black soot) I guess I am wrong on that theory!!! or at least not in my wax/dye/fo combo

THANK YOU AGAIN!!!!!

Jen

I use a CDN 8 for that jar. :)

I always thought soy wax will not shroom and give off black soot

ANY candle wax can give off soot and make shrooms on the wick under certain circumstances (like a slight draft). Anything that burns with a flame pretty much gives off soot/smoke. The idea is to get the wick dialed in so that the sooting and shrooming and sputtering (oh my!) are kept down to a minimum.

Hi Jen,

Just curious... are you poking relief holes and doing re-pours? It hadn't been mentioned yet, but look at your candles during the burn. I've had candles that start out burning nice then all of sudden it hits a pocket and the flame starts to jump and then the fun begins. Big flame, mushrooming, and a sooty candle.

Just my two scents... I got this advice from Stella before :) After poking holes and repours I get more consistent burn qualities.

Hope this helps.

Brudil18, Hello and thank you for the advice, NO I have not poked the wax or did any type of re-pours! I guess I never even thought about the air pockets could cause the "shrooms" and soot......thank you very much I will try that with the next batch....question though, do I poke around the wick after it has hardened??? and then fill the holes with the repour??? is that how you are supposed to do it?...

TIA

Jen

Jen, I also use CDN's. Like Stella has said, scent throw and jar temp are much more important than mushrooms. Trimming the wick is very important. Often I will get a large shroom on the first burn, then I'll cut its ugly head off before the next burn, and it doesnt come back! Sometimes shrooms can develop straight away, sometimes only after really long burn times. Anything in the wax, dyes, fragrance etc will determine if and how big a shroom is. You will go bonkers trying to get it perfect {and you probably never will anyway} so just cut it off before you re-light the candle and save yourself the stress.

question though, do I poke around the wick after it has hardened??? and then fill the holes with the repour??? is that how you are supposed to do it?...

You can do it that way, but be sure the holes are large enough to allow the repour wax to penetrate all the way down into the cavity. You can also poke while the candle is setting up, then either repour or hit the top with a heat gun. I prefer the repour in this case because the tops never look quite as pretty & satiny smooooth after heatgunning.

Sometimes shrooms can develop straight away, sometimes only after really long burn times. Anything in the wax, dyes, fragrance etc will determine if and how big a shroom is. You will go bonkers trying to get it perfect

So true, KG. Especially the part about going bonkers! :P

THANK YOU everyone for the responses....I always trim my wicks, and I always get a shroom back again:confused: yes, I am definately driving myself crazy with this "shroom" thing:angry2: I guess I am trying to have my cake and eat it too LOL.......My sample order of CDN's should be here today so I will try all the suggestions given!!! THANK YOU ALL so very much!!!! you have all been very helpful!!!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!!!

Jen

Do we have any photos of these evil 'shrooms? :) Sometimes, what seems like a mountain to one person may be a mole hill to another... Let us see what is causing your concern! :) Maybe we should start a 'shroom photo thread - "you show me yours and I'll show you mine" sort of a thing... :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::tiptoe: