Stupid Question for future business......?

The first thing I did was make sure the domain name was available. I get my domains at www.godaddy.com . I also ran a check at www.uspto.gov and made sure it wasn't trademarked. Then of course you have to decide if you're going to register your name with the state. In Kansas (where I am) it looks like I don't have to register my name as long as I'm sole-proprietor.

Thanks for the input :) I know I need insurance...domain name is open...will check with MO state....

Not sure if I had to get some type of license, trademark, etc.... :)

Other input :) Ya'll got me started !!! :yay:

dana

You don't have to trademark your name. I'm not sure about MO (I actually would start with your city hall - wealth of info there) but in KY I was registered as a seller. No one else in KY can use my name, but someone in every other state of the nation can - until someone trademarks it.

Oh, and definitely secure your domain name even if you don't build a site right away. I waited and (I swear!) the day I decided to register someone else got it. There has never been a site built there, and I'm sure they bought it thinking they would sell it to me. Nope, not buying. I put a hyphen in my name and built my site.

I used to live in MO. I did register my name with them as a sole-proprietor when I got my sales tax ID. When I stopped making candles for a while I closed it up. Now I can't remember if I registered the name because they made me or if I just did it because I wanted to. It was cheap though. Of course this was in late 2002/early 2003 and they've probably changed the rules since then. :rolleyes2 Good luck!