Need Help Wicking Peak's Amish Harvest

I'm having a heck of a time wicking Peak's Amish Harvest 6% in C3....I can usually use an ECO8, 10 or rarely a 12 in my jars and none are working very well. The 12 is the best so far but the flame is weak and I'm barely reaching a full melt pool. I'm hesitant to go up to a 14.

The FO does seem pretty heavy....anyone have any suggestions...:confused:

Thanks

Brenda

I use C3 and I have one really heavy oil that I use Eco 12 on in an 8 oz. jelly jar. I use 1.5 pp of fo. I haven't wicked that oil in a 16 ounce yet but it would probably use an Eco 14 if I did.

HTH

Deb

I'm barely reaching a full melt pool.

In what length of time?

Here's the link to WickIt's wick recommendation chart for ECOs...

http://www.wickit.net/recommendations.html#eco

I use CDN 14-16 for this size in C3...

BTW, unless you're using additives, the FO load for C3 is 5%... might make a difference, especially in a container whose mouth is narrower than the rest of the container and is taller than it is wide with a heavy FO... As suggested, you might try using a little less FO or wicking up one... HTH ;)

I'm not reaching a melt pool in 3 hours or more.....I may end up cutting back on the FO because it's so heavy.

Stella, I'm curious as to where you're finding the 5% FO number? On the document Elevance sent me it implies 6% max without additives. I just tried to attach it but it's too large. I can email it to you if you want a copy...

Anyway, thanks for the wick info. I will continue plugging away, I may switch to CD wicks for this scent

Brenda

I didn't catch what wax your using but I use ez soy and in those jars with that scent I use a cd 18. Works great. Maybe could go down to a 16 but like the burn with the 18. Love that scent by the way!

Stella, I'm curious as to where you're finding the 5% FO number? On the document Elevance sent me it implies 6% max without additives. I just tried to attach it but it's too large. I can email it to you if you want a copy...

My bad, Brenda.:embarasse You are correct.:bow: I took a look at the Handling sheet I downloaded (back when one COULD download Handling, TDS & MSDS sheets from Cargill's NatureWax site... sure wish Elevance would make those readily available...) and it says:

"
* The recommended fragrance load for this wax is 6% or less, although a 7 to 10% fragrance loads

may be added with the addition of additives to help control the fragrance.
"

So the way I would read that is 6% or less without additives.

I'm not reaching a melt pool in 3 hours or more.....I may end up cutting back on the FO because it's so heavy.

I agree that cutting back a little might help, but personally, I don't expect for a candle of the diameter yours to achieve FMP in only 3 hours on the first burn. I wouldn't worry unless either the candle drowned or it didn't achieve FMP on the second or third test burn, so long as the flame was reasonable and the throw was good...:)

Thanks Stella for the explanation on the C3 max load. I use 6% with the majority of my scents so you had me a bit concerned .....as far as the 3 hour burn...I'm way beyond the first burn....didn't reach mp on the 2nd, 3rd or 4th. I'm testing CD wicks now and they are doing alot better than the ECO's were. Scent throw has been good throughout so I may still cutback but will continue testing a bit first...

Again, sorry for the brain fade... I really like CDs and CDNs for the veggie waxes I use. I know others use different wicks, but I have had such good luck with the Heinz wicks, I just can't see changing a good thing! I hope the CDs do the trick for ya. :)

Stella

I am trying to wick Amish Harvest as well. I don't use c3 but was wondering how close CD and CDN wicks really are since they are in the same chart. When I tried CD 16 it was too strong, so I was going to try 14 next.

I use ecosoya 135 1 oz pp of fo in a 9 oz hex jar if somebody else has a suggestion as well.

I use a CDN 12 in the 9 oz. hex jars with C3. CDNs are treated to help resist oxidation caused by the acid content of veggie waxes. They are the exact same wick as CDs except for the treatment. While CDs & CDNs are listed in the same chart, there is a difference in how they burn with respect to different waxes & FOs. I think the difference is less than a whole "step" in sizing, so while the chart is a good place to start in choosing a size, it is certainly not an absolute. HTH :)