Curing Time??

Okay...so I recently tested 6oz tins with Ecosoya CB135 and CS Gardenia with HTP 62 and HTP 73 wicks.

During the first test, the 62 tunneled and the 73 burned really nice. Figuring I had this nailed down, I decided to test these two wicks again.

During this second test, the HTP 62 seems to be burning nice and the HTP 73 seems to be burning faster (already hit FMP during first burn).

During the first test, I had let the candles cure for 4 days. For this second test, they have cured for 48 hours. Would this impact how the wicks perform? All other variables are the same except for cure time. I've heard of cure time in terms of how a FO throws, but does this also impact overall wick performance?

Were they both placed in the same spot to cure? Has your house been at the same temperature for each test?

Even though the candles were made exactly the same the conditions in which they burn can also be a variable.

They cured in the same location and the temperature has been the same. The house has been slightly warmer here in Illinois, so the house has been warmer (75 degrees vs 68 degrees). How do you compensate or adjust performance when producing your candles and selling them year round to individuals potentially in completely different climates? Based on my previous test and Lone Star Supply's recommendations (http://www.lonestarcandlesupply.com/candle-making/candle-wicks/), for my size tin (2 13/16" diameter) it appears that HTP 73 is the right choice.

I really thought I had this locked...:confused:

I was just thinking...I'm using Ecosoya CB 135. During my last test, I used wax from a 10lb bag from CandleScience. For this test, I'm used wax from a 10lb bag from Peaks. Would there be a difference between the two bags?

Oh yeah, different suppliers - 2 different lots! Suppliers don't put lot numbers on their 10# bags you don't know if it's from the same batch or not. That's why many candlemakers will retest each lot of wax they receive.

It's the same wax given to both suppliers - so one supplier is not better than the other one. Just variables in the manufacturing process have affected that batch.

I bet that's my problem! I guess tonight I'm going to have to pour a couple more candles with the CS wax. I'm still going to continue testing this current batch - the HTP 62 is performing like the HTP 73 did in the last test. I guess after this 10lb bag is done, it's time to start ordering cases...I've still have a lot of testing to do and need to know what I'm working with! :smiley2:

As always, thanks for the feedback!