Repouring Votives

I have been experimenting with a 2 colored layered votive, but I am having one problem. I pour the first color let it cool and then pour the second color. However when this cools it doesn't sink as much as if it were one color because the bottom layer already cooled. There is still more of a sink hole then I like, but when I repour the top color again, you can see where the repour is on top by a line. I think because there wasn't enough room to repour up to the outer rim. Should I just not repour or is there a way to make this line better. Maybe I should fill the second color slightly lower when I initially pour it so there will be enough room for the repour. Does this make sense. I don't know how else to describe it because I am a noob. =) I can't melt and repour because there are 2 colors. I am using the 15 hour votive molds and 4794 votive wax. Is there a one pour type votive wax avaliable?

Jamie

You need to pour your second layer slightly higher than your first layer to assure it will adhere to the bottom layer. Depending on your wax, you still may have to do a second pour on your top layer, just as if you would if you were only doing a single color.

HTH

Tristan

There are waxes that are supposed to be one pour. Thing is, if you stick with the 4794, why now pour the first color as is and the second color as is, but don't fill it all the way to the top? Leave enough room to top off, because if you want straight tops, that's what you'll have to do with that wax. Lines are kind of inevitable, but you could try topping off a little sooner to get less of one. Hope that made sense to you.

Also: You can pour to the level you want (talking second layer here) and when it comes time to repour, let the wax spread out to the end instead of trying to keep filling it. It takes some getting used to, but that ought to help eliminate or minimize a seam.

Ah, I see what you mean now... Scented's got it right! When you are pouring that last layer, it will seem like you will spill over, but usually the surface tension of the wax holds it in place (I said usually!).

Ok I'll give this one a shot. I would do one of two things here, and both were mentioned before. First one would be to Pour your second layer, second pour right up to the edge. This will take some pratice and a steady hand, but the wax it thick enough that it should hold, but if you are pouring to the very top of the mold, which it looks like you are, if it does overflow a bit, after it cools you can trim it with a sharp knife. Just have your mold on something that can catch the overflow wax. The second is to not pour so high in the mold, when you are ready for your "final" pour, heat the wax up with a heat gun, or a hair dryer works too. this will soften the wax on the top and it will mix better with what you are pouring. Hope this helps

Ok, thanks for the tips. When I did the final pour it did overflow...and my workspace is probably not exactally level so it overflowed in one direction mostly. So I will try not to fill it quite as much and then re-pour. I did buy a heat gun so I will try that. I tried the heat gun after the final pour to see if the line would go away, but it didn't and the wax was going to blow off the top. =)

Ok, thanks for the tips. When I did the final pour it did overflow...and my workspace is probably not exactally level so it overflowed in one direction mostly. So I will try not to fill it quite as much and then re-pour. I did buy a heat gun so I will try that. I tried the heat gun after the final pour to see if the line would go away, but it didn't and the wax was going to blow off the top. =)

You can always tip the mold a bit to direct the wax, or use a toothpick to help guide the wax. If you drag some of the wax with the toothpick, it should follow.