Beer Soap with Lye Pockets?

rcrafty

Interesting that you posted this, I made my first beer soap Saturday night...the top (slab mold) is "sweating" the same amber liquid drops. They feel oily and don't zap......this was my first beer soap so I wondered what I might have done wrong, or if others have had this experience. It is warm and pretty humid, I don't have the a/c on....wondered if it was the environment but it's only these bars so far.........:confused:

dana

I did the zap test and no zap, of course I didn't try it on the wet part though. Maybe it is the weather, AZ has been somewhat humid (for the desert) because of all the rain we have been getting but I do have the AC running.

Hmmmmmm.....

I know that happens to me if I don't get my honey blended into the OM&H soap good enough. I have made quite a bit of beer soap and that's never happened to me like that.

Was it a thick, dark beer?

Did you use just beer and no water for your liquid?

Only thing I can think of is when using only beer sometimes it's kinda thick like syrup when I am adding it to my oils. Maybe it did incorporate all the way.

But then again you said it didn't zap, so I have no clue:confused:.

Hope you get it figured out....

I've only experienced lye pockets a few times. The soap looked like Swiss cheese on the bottom with what appeared to be water (wasn't) oozing out of the holes. It was a shame two, soap was perfect on top. It made me realize that my scale had big problems and I sent it back; they replaced it and none since. The scale was doing that trick where it displays one weight, you turn around and suddenly the number is different.

e

I really don't think (mine) are lye pockets........the soap is solid...it's almost like how some soaps weep when it gets humid and hot in the house? Kinda like that... just little amber oily beads on the surface. And only on the top...not on any of the sides or bottoms of the bars.

If they do it again I'll take a pic......as long as no one laughs at my swirl attempt! :laugh2:

dana

I used Fat Tire (one of my favorites). I used only beer, no water. It's weird because not every soap has oozing stuff only about 1/2 of it.

Right before I made the soap I dropped my scale on the tile in the kitchen...:( I am going to have to check and see if it is still calibrated correctly.

I don't think I could waste a Fat Tire for soap! lol...... One of my faves! :)

I might just have to make a second batch to see if it happens again....but oy, the smell of beer + lye......

I cleaned up the bars earlier today and have not seen them weeping anymore....?

Rcrafty lemme know if you figure it out!

dana :)

Just as a follow up on my findings. I finally got brave and licked one of the wet spots on the soap and sure enough I got zapped, when I licked the other part of the soap it was fine. Bummer, I had to throw it all away. I will have to try it again this weekend.

Just as a follow up on my findings. I finally got brave and licked one of the wet spots on the soap and sure enough I got zapped, when I licked the other part of the soap it was fine. Bummer, I had to throw it all away. I will have to try it again this weekend.

Oh No! That is a bummer~ Now it makes me curious about MINE! Once I wiped away the beads on the top.....they never returned. I'm going to have to cut a bar up and see if there are any in the interior of the soap......:(

Thanks for posting your update, I had thought for sure mine were ok, I better check again...

dana ~

You might have saved it with a rebatch.

Mine doesn't have the pockets, thank heavens.

Once I wiped the amber oily beads off the top, they never came back, and there are none on the inside.

Interestingly enough, I made another batch last night. It is still in the mold, but I see the amber beads this morning on the top of the soap.

It must be something in my recipe (shrug)...

dana

Spoke too soon. Cut it and there they were.....the dreaded lye pockets. :(

I've been lucky enough not to ever have this happen before...my only guess is because I'm trying to swirl....and I guess I am separating my soap too soon to color it..... Lesson learned.....*cry*

dana