OHP Salt Bars

I finally got the bug in my bonnet and HAD to try my hand at Salt bars. Since I OHP my soaps, I wasn't sure whether or not to add the salt before or after the cook and quickly learned how I need to do it.

For the first batch, I added the salt at trace and put it in the oven to cook. I had a little oil separation, which happens sometimes. And by the time Zap was gone, It had turned into what looked like a pot of cottage cheese minus the whey. Not Pretty at all.

My next batch I decided to cook my bater then add the salt after the cook. I used coffee for my water and scented with NG Cafe Caramel... YUMMY!!

soap001-vi.jpg

soap002-vi.jpg

soap003-vi.jpg

I only do CPOP and when I made salt bars.... I brought soap to a light trace then added salt, poured into my loaf mold and put in the oven. Had the oven at 200 then turned off, put soap in for 1 hr, it was perfect. By this time it was hard so I cut right away. Great way to make soap, so easy or I was so lucky.

And I'm now the proud vendor of 4 less bars! Everyone was going nutty for them at market today. Even from customers that didn't buy a bar but did sniff it, the most common remark was that it had a cool top txture and that it smelled like a fancy Starbucks coffee.

People liked the idea of the salt bar (seems handmade is just not that common in these parts and once it was explaind the idea was loved) and it looks like it might be a strong item for me, so once I pick up some more lye, some more bars will be on their way!