shopping carts

Jeana

I've done a few searches on this topic but most of the results are old, so I'm hoping for some new info.

I've decided I want to try to do my website in a program called Web Easy. Everything is coming along with the designing part except finding the ecommerce side of actually getting it up and running.

Can any of you recommend your favorite free or very cheap shopping carts?

I got a quote from one the other day that was $550 per year. That was scary!

IMO, Mals is the best free "stand alone" shopping cart. It handles multiple payment methods and shipping methods. There is also PayPal's cart but I just don't care for it. You are obligated to using their payment methods and its a pain to use, imo.

There are also lots of shopping cart "systems" out there that are free. You have Zen Cart, Cube Cart, osCommerce, and TONS of others. They will be a little more difficult to design for, however.

What does "stand alone" mean? I was concerned about using pay pals cuz I thought I would be locked in to using them as my cc processor.

Does mals have good customer service. I'm so new to all of this, I feel I need some support to get it all sorted out.