Lessons learnt today

Well of we went to a local show this morning, which is a nice change from the every Sunday trash & treasure market we generally do (although we are getting people coming back to restock which is very positive)

By the afternoon we had learnt two valuab le lessons.

Soy melts in the sun (which we already knew), but today was not that hot at all. I guess the direct sunlight played a part in that. Position is all important, and ours today had the sun streaming in under our gazebo for a few hours.

Palm totally fades in direct sunlight. The pillars were in direct sunlight for quite a few hours, and the fading is totally visible. This is not the hippy range, but our more sedate range of actual feathered pillars, as well as melts.

So two lessons learnt today. Have to start adding some UV stabiliser in, and in summer down here we are going to be in huge trouble with our soy range, as temperatures are regularly over 100 degrees. Might have to start testing and experimenting some more with the glass glow palm, which seems to hold up pretty well in the sunlight and heat.

Any suggestions from those more experienced than us on either of the 2 points above aould be most welcomed.

Cheers

Richard

Make a cloth panel not more than 2ft (60cm) wide that you can attach to the exterior roofline support of the gazebo. I put velcro every 18inches (45cm) or so that loops and secures it over the bar. Keeps the pesky peeping sun out - and I can change it easily from side to side.

As the temps creep up you may want to keep the loose dimensional melts in an insulated cooler with just a few out to show the packaging. It can kill a sale, though, when you tell customers not to leave it in a hot car. Not as big of a problem if you use clamshells or souffle cups - just make sure they keep them upright.

HTH

Richard, UV in a must in palm. It will change over time without a doubt. I have been using the one from Candles & Supplies with pretty good luck. The one from BCN didn't work so well in my jars for some reason, my greens & blues turned into funky bruise colors. Just figured I would warn you.

Also, if anyone else had a supplier they use for UV in palm that works well I would love to know. I have been afraid to try any others and risk having it not work for me.

I agree with the UVI. I found that out the hard way! I've done alot of outdoor shows and the sunlight will ruin your candles very quickly. I get mine from C&S or CW.

I also have sides for my tent now. They're nice because you can reposition them very easily depending on where the sun is.

I find that my soy candles "sweat" if they get too hot, so I also bring a big fan to my shows. If there isn't any electric at the show, I have a converter for my car. I don't always have to use it, but it's nice to have when you need it.

Regarding palm, I don't know yet cause I just started making them and they're not really ready for the show circuit.

So sorry to hear about your candles fading. I learned the hard way myself! The sun can ruin the colors on soy, palm, parrafin, so I always use UV. I use the one from CS. It seems to work the best for me.

Also-- as suggested by Judy get some sidewalls or fabric paneling to hang from your tent to shade your candles. Those are an absolute must for outdoor shows.

Sorry-- can't help you with the heat. But I find shade can work wonders keeping candles a bit cooler and out of the direct sun.

Thanks to all for the advice. Guess I will be heading out during the week to pick up some UV. It sure isnt cheap, although a little goes a very long way. Yesterday was the first outdoor show we have done and we were surprised at how quick the fading occured.

As far as the soy, when we bought our gazebo during the week, I looked at the walls and though should I get them or not. Decided at the time that it could wait and we will see how it was without. Guess what I am also going out to buy thisw week...LOL.

You live and learn I guess. It still amazes me when some people turn their noses up at the prices, as they really have no idea what is involved in making a quality product for them to take home and enjoy. If it was just a matter of melting wax, sticking a wick into it, then I am sure that everybody would be doing it.

Ah well I will enjoy Sunday today and then head out to spend some more money next week. Candles and spending seem to go quite well hand in hand I have discovered....LOL

Richard

UV is mandatory for any candle outside and most inside that get a lot of florescent light or direct sunlight from a window. It's REAL impressive how quickly the dyes fade without it outside!! I try to keep the candles in DEEP shade even when I use UV...

Richard,

It's amazing how the spending adds up, isn't it?

I have a sister that comes in to my shop and every time, she's says "Can I steal some votives?" Then proceeds to fill a little sack. At first I was just polite, and let her. She is family after all.

Last time she came in, I showed her my spreadsheet of expenditures for the past couple of months. She could not believe it!

I told her I'd give her candles, but I gotta pick them and they're gonna be seconds.

Any way, I feel your pain. Sometimes I feel like it'll be a miracle if I ever break even!