EZ Soy Candle Blend

I use EZ in my container candles. It would help to know if you're using any additives, what types of FO you've used, what temp you add FO and what at what temp you pour.

Also, what wick, what size container, and what, if any, dye you're using.

any tips with this wax? i purchased it to give it a try and the 1st candle i made didn't have a great throw (hot&cold) :confused:

Since you say you aren't getting a good throw hot or cold, I am wondering what amount of FO you are putting in your candles? Soy wax ususally needs a slightly higher FO load than paraffin but you can get away with decreasing the FO load on certain FO's. Make sure you are adding enough FO that you get from a quality reputable supplier. Good FOs make a difference. Some FOs just won't throw in soy so maybe you used one that doesn't throw so well in soy. Also adding FO from 165-175 degrees will help it bind with the wax. Make sure too that you are getting the FO thoroughly stirred into the wax.

How long are you curing for? Some FO's need a longer cure time than others. Some will have an awesome cold and hot in a matter of days while others need more time.

Getting a candle to throw has alot to do with the wicks you use. I have some FOs that I have to change wicks with to get a better throw. What kinds of wicks and jars are you using? Are you using the right size and # of wicks that best suit the jar you are using? Some folks use zinc in soy but IMO I think zincs are too cool and soy benefits from a hotter flame. That is what my testing shows and what works best for me.

Do you add any additives and if so, what kind and how much? BW added to your wax can help with the frosting and can improve throw. Pouring cooler will also help to achieve smoother tops. If its been hot and humid where you live, weather conditions can affect the way your candle tops turn out.

LOL! Oh, now I remember. I knew I had seen it somewhere, duh! I just got through running the KY Perfect Blend through the paces for the last 3 or 4 weeks. Not sure I am up to wax testing again at the moment. I have a large order to fill in September and don't want to be in the middle of wax testing. Maybe after that I will try some of the new Ecosoya CB Advanced. You never know when you'll stumble on something better than what you have. :D

How long are you curing for?

Oh Meridith, didn't you read that curing is a myth? Silly chandler. :P:P:P

(I hope I don't have to clarify, but I'm going to anyway, since I'm still relatively new and it's hard to get tone across in message boards, that I'm TOTALLY kidding. Re: the curing post the other day. I cure my candles for at least a week)

i did not cure at all, just poured let it cool and was burning the same evening. i had the curious bug hit me that day. i've only attempted one candle with this soy. i cant remember what temp i poured at but i used the straight sided 8oz jj wih a 51z wick i think the fo was green tea blend type. i was just hoping for some1 to share tips, i know i made a fugly on that ist candle :( just got candle making happy and didnt do my homework, of course this was not anything for sell.

Oh Meridith, didn't you read that curing is a myth? Silly chandler.

(I hope I don't have to clarify, but I'm going to anyway, since I'm still relatively new and it's hard to get tone across in message boards, that I'm TOTALLY kidding. Re: the curing post the other day. I cure my candles for at least a week)

I believe in curing and think it makes a difference and so do my customers. Apparently some will argue that here is no such thing as curing, but I don't agree with those people. For them, it may be true but it isn't for me. And since all I work with is soy and have for almost 2 years now, I do feel I know what I am talking about and what works for me. But I did know you were kidding and if there was a question in my mind, I'd have given you the benefit of the doubt since I don't know you. Thanks for clarifying that anyway. :)

Glazy, I'd cure my candles a bit longer before testing. How long is determined by the FO. Keep notes of stuff like the temp you added the FO and poured, additives and amounts, amount of FO and who its from. You know, that type of thing. These are very important and notes help you to remember and be able to repeat your successes.

Also, I wouldn't use zinc wicks (but that's my opinion) and would change to (all these work well in soy): CD, HTP, cottons, RRD, or LXs. In a straight sided jelly jar, I would suggest starting with an HTP 104 or 105, CD 16 or 18, RRD 50, 60c and wick up or down as necessary for your wax, additive and pouring conditions.Others on the board that use that jar hopefully will ring in with wick suggestions for this jar or correct if I am wrong. Since I don't use these jars, it is really hard for me to think of what other sizes to start with. If you want to stick with zinc (some swear by them in soy), I'd try wicking up a bit to see if that helps. HTH and keep us posted on how it goes. :)

thanks guys ;) as i know that each has experienced, when you get some new candle stuff its like "oohhhh, let me try this". after a couple of years i still get all excited at new candle products, especially FO's that i have never had :rolleyes:

thanks guys ;) as i know that each has experienced, when you get some new candle stuff its like "oohhhh, let me try this". after a couple of years i still get all excited at new candle products, especially FO's that i have never had :rolleyes:

Yeppers, I completely understand, except, I don't think you ever get over that. LOL :P At least I never have nor am I anywhere near being over it. LOL