selling candles in PA.....

Jen0305

HELLO ALL!!!!!!!!

I am new to this site...still trying to figure things out and where to post different things at....and wanted to know if someone can help with a few questions please.....

1.) I live in PA and wanted to sell my candles...what are the "rules" or the law on this? or a website I can look at for this info.??

2.) when you sell at craft shows etc... do you charge any sales tax?

3.) also, anyone in PA...is there an insurance co. that you use to protect your business??? ....I am having a hard time finding a company that will insure a "home-based candle business"

I would really be grateful if someone can shed a little bit of light on this...... Thank You sooooo much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Jennifer

You can go on the PA State Department website. There you can search to see if the name you want to use (other than your own) has been taken. If not, and you want to register it, you can do it online. ALso, you can apply for your sales and use tax online through that site. As far as insurance, I don't know anything about that. If nothing else, also register as an LLC (that used to cost around $100) This protects your individual assets from those for the business. LLC allows you to act as a sole proprietor but you are protected like a corporation. Don't get swindled from websites offering to do everything for you. If you can figure out how to wick a friggin candle, you can figure out the paperwork!!!!!!!

Hello! I wanted to recommend insurance through the Ohio Arts and Crafts Guild. It is through Benchmark insurance and they cover PA residents also. It is pretty cheap and covers your liability and insures you products. Do a search for Benchmark Insurance and you will find it. Also you will charge sales tax at craft shows, so make sure to get that sales tax license and register your business name with the Dept of State as mentioned in the previous post...and then you are good to go.

• 7 months later...

I know this is an OLD post, but maybe someone will still see it :)

Are there local sales permits or anything you have to apply for in your town as well? Or just the stuff mentioned previously and insurance. I'm also in PA, but I thought if it was zoned "residental only" where you live, making candles is considered manufacturing.

zonign can be tricky. if you are doing it as a hobby its ok, once you start getting in frequent shipments is when somone may say something. Most likely you cant put up a sign either. I have had to go to 2 zone hearings and put up some money even though im in a commercail area. Check with ur local zoning officer.

All townships and boroughs have different regulations. Apply a common sense rule and usually it is somewhat close. If you are just making candles in your basement or kitchen and selling them at craft shows or on consignment, who the heck's business is it anyways?

It's still a free country...unless Obama has his way completely!

No one can tell you can't do that. If you're considering operating a retail spot from home and your town has regulations regarding that -then that is something all together different as would a big production facility. If you're ready to rent or build a facility to manufacture candles, then you definately need to call an attorney to set up what you need to do. Sorry guys, but half of these township polictians are idiots and don't comprehend simple english. And, it would be a very sad world if all of a sudden UPS wasn't allowed to deliver to your door....

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with PP. Here in my little rural township, they basically could care less what I do. I called to see if I needed a permit or anything or permission to put up a business sign...I was told I don't need any permits and good luck on my business venture.