Getting Started in the Tart Biz

Hi everyone... I've been making tarts for a couple of years now and I've since moved to Oregon and I have lots of time on my hands. I was thinking about turning my tart making hobby into a little business and maybe learning how to make candles too.

My question is, how did you all start out in the tart/candle business?

Thanks in advance for any advice/information

Andrea

Just get the word out....I started with home parties...still do them. I do craft shows...not flea markets. I don't have a website...because I just didn't want to get involved with shipping and handling and credit cards and Pay-Pal. I have created a brochure much like an Avon Lady...I leave them in my doctors, dentists and friends offices also at my hairdressers. Personally I have found that people like to buy from locals face to face.

I have been making candles for 30 years and Tarts for about 7 years. Most of my business is repeat customers that know my product.

post-541-139458454977_thumb.jpg

One bit of advice, if you do start selling and/or have a website, don't use the word "tart" as yankme has it trademarked and have been known to go after people who use their word.

I tried myself just doing the melts but found people still like to burn candles. I did start out with melts and it helped to generate some revenue to begin buying and testing wax/fo's for candles.

Good luck to you :yay: