Correct wax for t-lights

Hi all, Im about to make some scented 6 hour t-lights. I have a lot of ecosoya pb so is this ok to use? I know this wax shrinks, but would it shrink so much that it pulls the wick tab away from the bottom of the t-light? {I dont want that to happen!} I also have CB-135 and CB Advanced but am hoping the pb will work since thats what I have the most of. Also, do t-lights give off much scent throw? Just wondering, since the surface area is only small.

Thanks

We dont make tealights specifically, however we do tend to use all of our leftover wax in them, rather than waste it, and here in Australia fire starters would not be a huge seller.

We make our tealights with whatever we have left over. Currently soy container and palm piller. They both burn ok. We only sell them cheaply to get rid of them and we still make 100% on each one sold at the markets.

Scentg throw is not all that great, although I dont think you can expect too much from a melt pool an inch and a bit in diameter :)

Cheers

Richard

I also use container wax, as I can get a longer burn and a great scent throw.

Richard I have to disagree with you about scent throw. My customers expect and receive tea lights that burn 6+ hours and have a great scent throw. If they didn't get that, they'd buy unscented tea lights. :cool2:

Richard I have to disagree with you about scent throw.

And you may in fact be totally correct. It is not something that we have really worried about at this point as the tealights for us are just a cheap line for the people who come to the markets expecting an absolute bargin. We just use our left over wax in them so they me in fact have a decent scent throw. I am generally testing some kind of candle, along with the smell of the FO's through the house I dont think a tealight has any hope in our house at least :)

Richard

I tend to agree with Chris. I make tealights with leftover C3 wax and get a 4-6 hour burn time with good scent throw. Almost all of my scents use TL 21 wicks from CS. I always tell people that they are overlooking a great bargain if they ignore the scented tealights.

Deb

I tend to agree with Chris.

I am going to have to go and find a room where no other smells exist and burn one of our tealights to see what the throw is actually like from them. They do burn 4 - 6 hours, both soy and palm and may actually have a great scent throw. Another test to do :)

Richard

I've used Enchanted Lites container wax, and Ecosoya pure, Advanced (can't remember if I've done CB 135 but think I have) and all work fine in tealights.

You do get a scent throw but not as strong compared to a larger container burning the same scent. Still you can smell it and it's even better if you burn more than one tealight. Essential oils are not as strong though as fragrance oils at least in my tests they haven't been as strong especially if you are using lighter scents.

Thanks for all your thoughts.

Update: Last night I made several 6 hour t-lights using Ecosoya Pillar Blend and CS Moonlake Musk. They look beautifully smooth and burn like a charm with both wicks I tested {CDN3 + 4}. The scent throw is fantastic, which surprised me as I burnt them the minute they set hard.....so no cure time!

I want to make them to go inside some beautiful lamps I bought and have the added bonus of a lovely scent as well as a lovely ambience from the t-light glow.

Im happy with the result:)

I bought some Yankee Candles when they had a huge clearance to try out some of their new scents. Once I've burned the candle down half way I melt the wax on a double boiler and pour it into tealights. They smell wonderful still.

I've also used my tarts that I have left over. I melt them down and pour them into tealights (these were made with paraffin wax) and they too smell great.

I have several lamps and tealight only burners in my house. I think they are very pretty and it's an added bonus when you make them and they smell awesome! :)

One other thing, I have found that all tea light wicks are not the same. Make sure to buy soy wicks if you are using soy and paraffin wicks if you are using paraffin. I have drowned out a few tea lights by not using the correct wicks.

I have also found it takes less container wax in a tea light then tart/pillar paraffin. The container wax tends to drown out if it's poured to the top whereas with my tart/paraffin wax does not.

• 2 weeks later...
Generally it is best to use a container wax for tea lights.

I use ECOSOYA PB in my tealights and it works GREAT. Mine burn for 6 to 8 hours and HT throw is really good. My customers reall love my tealights. I have never used a container wax for tealights and mine burn just fine.

• 1 year later...
I use ECOSOYA PB in my tealights and it works GREAT. Mine burn for 6 to 8 hours and HT throw is really good. My customers reall love my tealights. I have never used a container wax for tealights and mine burn just fine.

What kind of wick do you do for your tealights? I just made some and used some votive wicks so I am hoping that is ok. Any thoughts. BTW... I'm really new at this. But having a lot of fun with it. :cheesy2:

I bought "tealight wicks" only ONCE. They were NOT suitable for the veggie waxes I use. Now I use the appropriate size CDs or CDNs, the same as I would for any other candle. The throw is very good because I use the same waxes, additives, FOs, etc. that I use for other candles - pillar, container, soy, palm. Like Richard, these are not one of my primary products - they are what I call a "scrap" project that I make out of leftovers from pouring larger candles (I ALWAYS make a little extra). The throw isn't as *huge* as a larger melt pool can put out, but for small spaces or groupings (several lit at once), they have an excellent throw. Mine burn for about 5 hours on average, depending on the wax, etc. Some I pour into the little tealight cups (both metal & plastic, depending on what I have at the time); others I mold to be loose for insertion into holders that accept tea lights. I basically do the same things as I do for votives... these pretty little candles are NOT difficult to make at all!

With my GG palm tealights I use the TL21 from CS. Was happy with the ECO tealight wicks from LS (believe they are ECO 0.5's), but they tended to be a little small for most FO's. I only make tealights with extra wax when I am doing pours. Always keep a few tealight cups and TL21's on the pour table ( kitchen counter, lol) for when I miscalculate wax amounts and have a bit left in my pot.

Cheers,

Steve