I made my FIRST CP yesterday....... !!!!

SimplyBea

...... all by hand - didn't use the brand new stick blender coz I came across a thread here somewhere suggesting that the first time I should 'watch and feel' so I did - it was interesting and I could see the light trace and then feel it getting more resistant....... I put the mixture away in the plastic takeaway tubs I used this time in an esky and resisted temptation to take a peek ..... that was at 4pm yesterday........

THIS MORNING!!!!!

OK - I couldn't wait until 4pm....... but I waited until I had my 1st coffee this morning......

At least they look HARD though there are still a few bits that look darker in colour.... the tubs do feel warm so I am guessing something is happening..... the overall colour is nice, creamy off white.....

I am sooooooo excited !!!!!

Now to be patient until 4pm - it's going to be a loooooong day!!!!!

:cheesy2:

Congrats!

I just whipped up my first batch of CP of the year yesterday, so I kind of know how you feel. Of course, my batch turned out an odd mess, so yours probably came out better!

Once the zap is gone and you're ready to unmold, you might want to pop them in the freezer for a bit to help them slide out of the molds. That's what I'll be doing anyway.

Welcome to the addiction. It'll change your life! :yay:

My 1st batch is still stuck in the mold!!! It has had more than 36 hours and looks solid enough but I can still 'depress' my finger into it..... so I guess I will have to wait some more......

I even tried 20minutes in the freezer with one of the tubs - didn't want to come out........

I am too chicken to test for 'zap'............

My formula

• Olive 450gm
  • Coconut 350gm
  • Castor 94gm (should have been 100gm but the 100ml bottle only gave out 94gm..... grrrrrr)
  • Rice Bran 106gm (maybe I should not have adjusted from 100gm to compensate for the Castor???)
  • Water 380gm
  • Lye 143gm

I mixed this by hand for about 40minutes and it came to full trace (I am pretty sure).

I know this was always going to be a 'softer' soap and have read that it could take a while for it to harden....... just trying to be patient.... or have I done something wrong??? It looked really nice and creamy when I finished it....

I did try a little bit of the 'soap' which broke off and it did lather - but I was still using gloves handling it this morning (Monday) at 9am. The batch was completed on Saturday at 4pm.

:confused:

I use a recipe similar to yours and I haven't been able to use any molds that I don't line with freezer paper. (or lined with something) I hope it comes out. You may have to keep it in the freezer for a while to get it out. I have to do this with my PVC pipe molds. If you have to freeze it for a while, you will notice a lot of condensation on your soap as it is thawing after you get it out of the mold.

Did you scent it?

Hello everyone.......

I didn't line the mold so I now know better....... luckily I was just using disposable plastic takeaway tubs to see how they would go... now I know.... !

I couldn't wait any longer (we are going away tomorrow for a few days) so I just broke the tubs bit by bit and got the soap out... it was firm but left an indentation when I pressed my finger on it.

I managed to cut the pieces up really easy with my big 'chef knife' and the y are now sitting in a try on the top of the fridge with a towel covering them (while we are away).

I did try some of the 'bits' that broke off and it is amazing..... the bublles were so soft, large and clear... and there was lots of soft lather!!!!

So - I am pretty happy with the mix and the result, I know I will have to wait a while for this to cure and harden properly but I AM SO EXCITED!!!! :yay:

It is unscented, I wanted it to be the purest and mildest possible, and i am going to take a small bar to give my SIL who just had a baby a couple of months ago - will tell her not to use it for a while....

So - we will go shopping for OILS!!!!!

:):):)

Well.... I am back...... and have found......

• Coconut oil
  • Cocoa Butter
  • Refined Shea Butter
  • Soybean Oil
  • Copha(?) - vegetable shortening here in Australia

There was a place in Adelaide which sells supplies but it is VERY expensive..... so I have bought a bit of this and that to try out and see what I like and want to get more of.......

The 'bars' which I had been drying out on the top of the fridge while we were away look very much better/harder now so that's good!!!

We tried some of the soap while we were away and it performed really well with hard water... nice soft lather - lots of creamy bubbles..... :yay::yay::yay: and the soap from the hotel WOULD NOT lather!!!!! :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

SO..... I AM EXCITED !!!!!! :cheesy2: :cheesy2: :cheesy2: :cheesy2: :cheesy2: :cheesy2:

We tried some of the soap while we were away and it performed really well with hard water... nice soft lather - lots of creamy bubbles..... :yay::yay::yay: and the soap from the hotel WOULD NOT lather!!!!! :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

SO..... I AM EXCITED !!!!!! :cheesy2: :cheesy2: :cheesy2: :cheesy2: :cheesy2: :cheesy2:

What a neat feeling to know that your soap outperforms "hotel soap". Congratulations!!