Which Soy brand do most prefer for Jar containers?

I tried a local vendor recently and made a few jar candles. They turned out better than expected. After getting my feet wet I wanted to purchase 50 Ibs. of soy wax. I narrowed my choices to Golden Brands,EcoSoya,or Cargill NatureWax. I was leaning towards a 100% pure soy wax like EcoSoya but am unsure what"carefully selected botanical oils" means? This doesn't sound very pure? I know some have a lot of frosting or top problems. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi there, we use GW 415 only because we wanted the pure soy without any additives. So far it has been great, with little or no frosting evident. There can be a little with sone FO' but for the most part it is great.

We have also just started experimenting with the plain container palm (as opposed to glass glow and the like). Poured out first with that last night, testing for Mothers Day here in Australia in a couple of weeks. Was not that impressed by the look, however will reserve my judgement until after a couple of burns.

Cheers

Richard

I'm not saying anything good or bad about any specific wax product, but let me just offer a little perspective on the "pure soy" thing.

The yellow Crisco cooking oil in the supermarket is 100% pure soy. So what? The only difference between the cooking oil and the wax is that it's chemically altered (saturating the fatty acids with hydrogen) to make the oil a solid at room temperature. So instead of a bottle of yellow oil, you have a box of cream-colored flakes.

When you shop at the supermarket, do you choose your cooking oil to make sure it's 100% pure soy because that's better than other vegetable oils? The only advantage there would accrue to the soybean growers and the big food processing corporations who spend lots of money to make an impression on your mind. They do that so they can maximize the profit of growing soybeans and processing them in big factories to make all kinds of mediocre food products.

Even if your soybean oil "wax" includes a little palm or cottonseed oil, it's still 100% pure vegetable oil. For both the candlemaker and the cook, the important consideration is choosing the materials and ingredients that work the best.

The comparison between cooking and candlemaking isn't random. Most of the "100% pure soy" used for candlemaking is the same product that's sold to food producers as a flaked vegetable shortening.

I have only tried one other brand of container soy-based wax (EZ soy - hated it!), so my experience is slim. However, from reading here for the past several years, I think I lucked out! I use NatureWax C3. Like all soy-based waxes, it has its peculiarities, but overall, I wouldn't switch unless I had to. I add USA to it and UV stuff. The tops are always smooth both after pouring and after burning. I have minimal frosting problems and the cold/hot throw is great. Having said that, it's still a soy-based wax and it WILL give some folks the same problems as any soy wax - temperature sensitive, polymorphism, etc.

Join the club about not understanding what "carefully selected botanical oils" means... :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:For sure - NO ONE should even think for a minute that soy based wax is "all natural," or "organic" or somehow more "pure" and wonderful - that's total pseudo-environmental marketing bullcrap. I'm not sure we can even claim that it's a "greener" alternative to paraffin, considering the energy it takes to grow, harvest, ship, extract, superhydrogenate then ship and remanufacture into candles!! Arguably, a more "green" alternative would be beeswax or the lard candles discussed in another thread!!

I like veggie waxes and use them exclusively, but I'm not fooled by the "all natural, greener, more pure" marketing hype about these products. I think it's a shame that people mislead others with that fast-talkin' pseudo-environmental crap and I refuse to market my candles using that schpiel. I simply advertise them as real good vegetable wax candles. I think that's good enough! ;) If people wanna think they are doing something good for the planet by using veggie waxes, I got some mountain property here in SE LA I need to talk to 'em about...:laugh2:

BTW, I like palm wax right up there with soy for containers - very showy, stable, long-lasting, etc.

BTW, I like palm wax right up there with soy for containers - very showy, stable, long-lasting, etc.

Hey Stella

Dont want to hijack this thread, but just a question on the container palm you have used. have you used the plain non crystalizing version of palm? I have just poured some of this and found it a little strange. It seems to be softer than the soy and the tops were a little crinkle cuty looking after setting.

I have just done the first burn tonight and it seems and feels as though the melt point is lower than the soy. Any experience you may have had with this I would love to hear about.

Richard

Thanks for all the replys. I counted all the reviews for soy wax on the post from above and seen that CB advance had about 13 who liked it and C3 followed close with 10. EZSoy-8,KY125-7 and the rest was not far from that... I know a lot like CBadvance but I read something about how it didn't stick to the sides of the jars?I personally like the way it looks when its up against the jar smooth.

I used EZ soy, no problems, CB-3, it was nice, no problems, now I use 364 Golden brands. No problems. I use it because it is easier to pick up. As far as all the green hype. All I see is when I am making parrifin candles, I don't feel well. Since I started making soy, I feel much better. They don't give me headaches, the jars are clean burning, and the fragrance seems to really pop, if made right. So I am calling them greener than parrifin. For that reason. :yay:

I've used Golden Brands 415 and 464 and I liked them both. But I have now switched to C3 because I can pick it up. So now C3 works for me. I think maybe you might want to check to see if anything is available in your area that you can save on shipping or pick up. Wax is so heavy it will be a significant savings over time if you make a lot of candles. They all have good qualities and they all have their idiosyncracies. You just have to learn to work with them.

HTH

Deb

It's all a matter of preference. Get a few samples and test them.

I love the 415 (EZ SOY) but it frosts like snowstorm for me.:shocked2:

Remember: You need to pour this slushy/cool which is a royal PITA!!:rolleyes2

But the hot and cold throw is excellent. IMO

C-3 and 464 are very similar IMO. You can pour these hot... YEAH..

Cold throw is not as good IMO. Hot throw is comparable to the 415.

EcoSoya - Never had any luck with that.. Never could get it to throw they way I wanted it to.

You can always mix your soys to make your own blend and have the best of both worlds.

You can then pour hot, with a great H&C throw..

And as others said..

Try and buy wax you can get close to home to save on your shipping..

Also... Remember they all are great waxes until you get a bad batch!!!:laugh2:

(Test each new batch of wax or lot #..)

Have fun testing!!!:P

I've used Golden Brands 415 and 464 and I liked them both. But I have now switched to C3 because I can pick it up. So now C3 works for me. I think maybe you might want to check to see if anything is available in your area that you can save on shipping or pick up. Wax is so heavy it will be a significant savings over time if you make a lot of candles. They all have good qualities and they all have their idiosyncracies. You just have to learn to work with them.

HTH

Deb

Thanks Deb,

So far I haven't found and major suppliers near St. Louis area.

I have tried almost all the above mentioned soy waxes..

I chose GB 415, because I could buy it close to me..

I worked my way through, and the ups and downs..

I don't color my candles so I don't have the frosting issue..

But I think with all the different waxes..you just have to test and test...because one Fo will work well in one, and not at all in another wax..how that happens in soy that is supposed to be soy, I don't know...

But now I am faced with maybe having to start all over, because

I can't buy 415 close to me anymore..

and it cost almost as much to ship it as it cost to buy it..

I can get EL waxes close to me,,but going back thru my notes, I didn't have much luck getting good HT with that wax..

So I would find what you can get close buy, to save on shipping, and test with that....HTH

Because there are no local suppliers to me, I tend to rate my choice of wax in favor of lowest cost per case and the least expensive shipping cost. :D

have you used the plain non crystalizing version of palm?

No, Richard, I have not tried the container blend non-crystallizing palm wax. Somehow, I'd feel ripped off with no crystals! I hope you'll tell us more about it, though. :)

Because there are no local suppliers to me, I tend to rate my choice of wax in favor of lowest cost per case and the least expensive shipping cost. :D

Stella,

Looks like I will be doing the same thing because so far the closest I could find a supplier is around 200 miles...