Update on CS oils in soy

Debra Phelps

As you know I have been switching over to soy. And thought I would take your along for the ride. I researched most of CS's scents and comments. I ordered most of the ones that have 3 leaves. I am very impressed. The chocolate chip cookies in dead on. I had been eating the real thing yesterday. I poured those today, and could not believe the similarity. Honeydew is the best one I have found. The watermelon is more of a sour watermelon. I called it Pink Watermelon. Buttercream is perfect. Vanilla Frosting is the vanilla I have been looking for for years. It is the vanilla extract homemade vanilla icing to the tee. Kiwi, was a little sweet, but I think it is good. Cinnamon Buns made my mouth water. The peach was not as strong as I expected, but it has good reviews, so I think it will be stronger when it cures. Mac Apple is exactly that. No chemical smell, just really good strong apple, Gardenia is good. I am not a gardenia person but I know this one will sell, I still like Millcreeks better. I am keeping both, Honeysuckle Jasmine is divine. Once it is poured and sits awhile, it smells just like real honeysuckle. Very strong. Very clean, Mulberry is the real mulberry. There are so many different ones these days, but this one is the perfect mulberry, pomegranite is also perfect, coconut lime verbana is exact dupe, violet Lime is very nice and totally different. Very seldom am I impressed with every scent that comes in. But these are all the best. Can't wait to let my customers smell them. Thanks for all your input and reviews. it really helps.:yay:

I just mixed their mac apple and strudel and spice together tonight and oh man did it smell divine. I hope it does when I light it up, too.

I love their oils. Like you said, it is rare to be impressed with every scent that comes in and that is how I feel about CS, too.

I have not lite any yet. But, I have found that if it is really strong pouring, generally it is really good burning. I may be wrong. The ones that seem weak pouring are usually weak burning. That is just my observation. Could be wrong. I can always tell a good one. When the scent hits that soy it fills up the room fast. And why wouldn't it be strong, if it strong when the liquid is hot. I will still test all of them after a few days.

• 2 weeks later...

Debra,

What type of wax are you using and FO%? I've been testing with CS Gardenia in Ecosoya 135 both at 6.25% and 8.25%. At 6.25% and 8.25% the cold throw has been minimal (in my opinion). The 6.25% haven't had much HT and I just lit the 8.25% for the first time. I'm still trying to find the best wick; however, I have yet to have a good HT from any of them. :confused:

Debra,

What type of wax are you using and FO%? I've been testing with CS Gardenia in Ecosoya 135 both at 6.25% and 8.25%. At 6.25% and 8.25% the cold throw has been minimal (in my opinion). The 6.25% haven't had much HT and I just lit the 8.25% for the first time. I'm still trying to find the best wick; however, I have yet to have a good HT from any of them. :confused:

Not every oil, is going to work in your wax...

Also, your wick, will determine on how well your candle burns ( hot throw too)

You could have candle nose too..

Just some thoughts..

My gardenia is so strong they have to blow it out. I got to cut back. I am using 1.5 oz. per lb. 464 soy, and eco wicks size 8 in a 9oz decogon jar. I have had no problems with any of their oils. I pour at 175/185 with scent and color in it. Works for me. :yay:May not be the book, but it works.

Debra,

Someone recommended this one for me, and I have tried it with every FO load combo and wick combo I knew, and could not get it to work in soy. I use 415 and there was a tiny bit of a throw, but not enough to make the cut for me. I have many people who also test my candles when I need an outside opinion. All said the same on this one, not strong enough.

Hey Leah, great combo! I have a bottle of Strudel & Spice and didn't know what to do with it ... it doesn't throw well for me on it's own. However, CS's Mac Apple is another story ... awesome thrower and mixes great with just about everything. Other CS scents that I mix it with are ...

Brandied Pear

Caramelized Pralines

Peach & Cinnamon Stick ... makes an awesome Spicy Apples & Peaches

Cranberry Marmalade

Pumpkin Souffle ... rename it Pumpkin Apple Butter

I also like a little MacApple added to their Hot Apple Pie (it kicks it up a notch), Vanilla Hazelnut (apple & hazelnut is a great combo and the vanilla smoothes it out), and Hansel & Gretel's House (usually rename it Gingerbread Applesauce).

Hey Leah, great combo! I have a bottle of Strudel & Spice and didn't know what to do with it ... it doesn't throw well for me on it's own. However, CS's Mac Apple is another story ... awesome thrower and mixes great with just about everything. Other CS scents that I mix it with are ...

Brandied Pear

Caramelized Pralines

Peach & Cinnamon Stick ... makes an awesome Spicy Apples & Peaches

Cranberry Marmalade

Pumpkin Souffle ... rename it Pumpkin Apple Butter

I also like a little MacApple added to their Hot Apple Pie (it kicks it up a notch), Vanilla Hazelnut (apple & hazelnut is a great combo and the vanilla smoothes it out), and Hansel & Gretel's House (usually rename it Gingerbread Applesauce).

Thanks for the tips! I'm always looking to create new scents by mixing. It is sooo much fun. I was always too scared to try their hot apple pie because of the one leaf rating. I think I will now.

Vertical, I use a lot more oil than you do, close to 12%. That may be the problem. I have never used 6% in anything. And I find that if I don't pour hot enough, the scent is not there. I just know, that I am having to back off on oils on a lot of them. They are covering the whole house up stairs too. I have not had any problems with the ones I listed. Don't give up. If you can, try 464. I like it much better. It holds more oils. :yay:

• 2 weeks later...
Vertical, I use a lot more oil than you do, close to 12%. That may be the problem. I have never used 6% in anything. And I find that if I don't pour hot enough, the scent is not there. I just know, that I am having to back off on oils on a lot of them. They are covering the whole house up stairs too. I have not had any problems with the ones I listed. Don't give up. If you can, try 464. I like it much better. It holds more oils. :yay:

I never said I used only 6%. I said "I have tried it with every FO load combo and wick combo I knew, and could not get it to work in soy." That included 12%.