How do you stay motivated?

jeniryan

When I first started making candles over two years ago now, I was so obsessed and worked daily testing, perfecting, researching, etc. My ultimate goal was to take something I enjoyed doing so much and in turn make a little extra cash. I just keep seeming to run into dead ends, for financial reasons, mainly, then wind up getting frustrated and discouraged and totally get out of my groove. I'm very much hoping that I'm not the only person that has felt this way? How do you all keep motivated, organized, and dedicated, especially on days you feel like giving up? Any pointers and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

It is hard at times.. Taking a break does help.:)

I do this full time and I have to tell myself that this is much better than a 9-5 job.

The flexibility of having my own business is great, and it brings in a decent income.

I do get bored and tired at times having to go pour orders, but it's like any other job.. At times it sucks..

But for the most part, I really enjoy being a chandler.

It would be nice to be rich and sit my butt on an island.

That's my dream for retirement in 30 years!!

So when I get tired of pouring, I think of the beach and it gets me motivated again!!!

beachsmiely.gif

Since you are doing this for enjoyment and a little extra cash, then just do it at your own pace.

Get your basic products down, sell those, and quit testing all the time.

That will save you lots of time and money.:cool2:

I don't have time to get bored. I am very diversified with products, so I am constantly making different products and don't get bored with what I do. I also teach herbal medicine and that is my passion.

My season starts in March and goes through December. I love my January and February as that is my "down" time which really means, I get organized, get my sales tax stuff to my book keeper, do all the things I don't have time to do in my season and spend some time sitting on my butt.

When I'm in overdrive and see I'm about to hit the wall, I will take a break. Sometimes I just hit the wall and then get the break that way!:cheesy2:

Also, keeping a roof over my head, food on the table and bills paid since this is my day job, is the best motivator I know!

I think it's about passion. If you are passionate about what you are doing, boredom or lack of motivation doesn't really enter into the equation.

. If you are passionate about what you are doing, boredom or lack of motivation doesn't really enter into the equation.I don't have time to get bored.

I am not that passionate when I have 300-400+ candles to label! LOL:laugh2:

That in my book is BORING!! Along with all the paperwork, wicking those 300+ jars and all that little crap.. BORING!!!:lipsrseal

I am a one woman team and wear many hats..

Someday I will hire people to help and they can do the BORING stuff!!:cool2:

Eveyone needs motivation at some point in their career/life, even if they are passionate about something, there will be times we need that push!!

That in my book is BORING!! Along with all the paperwork, wicking those 300+ jars and all that little crap.. BORING!!!:lipsrseal

:cheesy2: That's true. Well, that's where sitting in front of the TV comes in handy. That way, you can watch something good on TV and get the labeling done without wanting to jump off a cliff!

Good help is a wonderful thing. I have apprentices who come to my home and help me fill and label jars, organize, make products, help me harvest wild plants. I love these gals and I know I would never get everything done without them. Or maybe I would, but would end up in a state hospital for the insane.

This is my motivation. Mortgage, food, electric, etc. When I got the bills paid, I am not as motivated. I get in my moods. But I crank up the dance music, order some new samples, and get in the mood. My customers also get me in the mood. When they need candles, I get in the mood. But I am not like I used to be either. I lived, breathed candles for 8 years. I didn;t want to do anything else. But the money was there. Now people are depressed and things are slow. Kinda just want to eat junk and watch the tube. Sucks.:confused:

This is my motivation. Mortgage, food, electric, etc. When I got the bills paid, I am not as motivated. I get in my moods. But I crank up the dance music, order some new samples, and get in the mood. My customers also get me in the mood. When they need candles, I get in the mood. But I am not like I used to be either. I lived, breathed candles for 8 years. I didn;t want to do anything else. But the money was there. Now people are depressed and things are slow. Kinda just want to eat junk and watch the tube. Sucks.:confused:

What she said!

I am motivated to make candles, but I am not getting the sales like I used to when I was on ebay. I'm on etsy now and it's a slow start. Any suggestions .... anyone ... anyone. ... Bueller ... Bueller ??

I'm totally depressed about the lack of sales. Need an attitude adjustment. Hubby crabby cuz no sales, no $$$, etc.

Helllllppppp !!! please !!:confused: