?? On Soy Oil

I have a customer that purchased Soi candles and wants to know if I can make soy oil candles for him, but the catch is he wants it to be organic. I am so confused about what soy oil is. I am thinking it is just a ploy to market soy candles. I am going to meet with this guy that bought a few of this companies candles. I told him I would try to research the product. The website he gave me still leaves me confused...SOY OIL??? What is that? It leads me to believe it is in liquid form...NO WAY! Here is a little of what they have to say about their product. Any help would be appreciated.

SOI Candles are hand-poured using 100%, FDA approved, kosher soy oil and burn cleaner than paraffin-based candles. Available in a variety of sizes, our candles burn about 140 hours (about 40% longer than wax candles), are soot-free and do not emit any harmful toxins (like Benzene) into your home. Unlike wax, soy oil burns coolly at 106º into a reflective pool of soy that always remains warm to the touch and will not burn little hands.

Because SOI Candles are created from natural soy, the melt pool can also be used as a skin moisturizer that can be massaged into any dry or irritated areas. It can also be applied as a soothing remedy to sunburned skin, eczema, psoriasis, and poison oak!

***barf***

What a LOAD of marketing HYPE! For discussions on "organic" soy wax (which is, after all, simply super hydrogenated soy derived shortening, which is hydrogenated soybean oil), search the Veggie Wax forum for "organic."

Soybean oil is oil extracted from soybeans by chemical means (the way most is done) or by cold-pressing or steam extraction. IF the soybeans are from non-genetic modified (non GMO) seeds AND grown by organic methods AND the oil is extacted by a non-chemical method (like steam extraction or cold pressing) AND meets kosher standards and other FDA Certified Organic standards, then it could be considered "organic." Organic is a term used mainly pertaining to the food industry and its use elsewhere is to imply some kind of superior quality and/or purity that is marginal or non-existant. While the organic movement IS a valid one, IMHO, the way commercial industry is using the term is total bulldoody.

If you read on wax manufacturer's websites, they explain how they derive the ingredients for their products (***sometimes*** kinda sorta). I am not aware of any major distributors of organic soy wax. If anyone knows of one, I hope they will post the source. I already know about Swan's but

I question their "organic" claim because if they met the standards of the program they cite in their description on the above page, they would be eligible to use the "USDA Organic" label from the FDA (seen here: http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/ams.fetchTemplateData.do?template=TemplateA&navID=NationalOrganicProgram&leftNav=NationalOrganicProgram&page=NOPNationalOrganicProgramHome&acct=nop ). ANYONE producing organic products WANTS to be able to use this logo! That they do not tells me that they do not qualify.