calling all soy experts.....

Hello everyone- I am currently testing ( still) with 464 on its own and a 464 blend with a little paraffin. I am not trying to copy any of "the big guys" candles but I'm wondering if you may know how a company would get a 100% soy candle so smooth and creamy and still look perfect burn after burn. Here is the story, I purchased a Seda France 100% soy candle and the adhesion was perfect as well as the top. I thought after burning it would have a little film on the sides or bumpy tops but no. The throw is amazing but my question is how would the soy stay so smooth?? Could there be an additive?? if yes than could you still call them 100% soy?

Yes they could ad an additive and yes they can still call it 100% soy additives most big boys do not consider the wax itself additive are consider by most no different than adding FO.

Now do I agree with that thinking no but a lot of people do.

Thanks -thats exactly what I thought because I have about 4 different popular kinds of 100% soy and I poured them all without additives and they look great until you burn them. This candle that I burned of theirs looks perfect from start to finish. What do you think they use as an additive???? microcrystalline or petrolatum maybe?? I am going to keep testing but in the meantime if anyone has any ideas I would love to test those as well. My goal is to have a soy candle that is soft and creamy and a little oily I guess you would say to the touch. I have achieved that somewhat by mixing soy with 4630 and 4627 but still can't get the perfect burn .

Hi!

I, like you, bought some soy candles from some popular companies (Pacifica and Illume, to be exact, and I plan to get a Glade one) and I found that the burns were smoother and more "perfect" that what I get with 464 during my testing. After reading here, I am quite sure additives are used or they are a parasoy blends.

Just my observation. *S*

I often have wondered, and could probably find out by doing a search on this board, as to how the Yankmee candles have the appearance they do, something is added there, for sure. Whether they use paraffin, or even their soy, they generally do not have smooth tops. The tops, imo, almost have a palm wax type appearance.

I have had luck with Palm stearic acid helping to smooth out soy...

I use 444 and the Palm Stearic from Peaks... I use about 6% per pound (they recommend 1 to 3 tbsp per pound) and it seems to help quite a bit.. I could probably use to up it to about 7% still, because I still get a few rough spots after a few burns, but overall it has helped significantly..

:) HTH