1343/4794

OK...oops on my part. Last night I made Creme Brulee tarts. After the fact, I realized I had used IGI 1343 instead of IGI 4794 (what I always use). Long story as to how the mix up occurred, but it happened. Haven't tested one yet to see what happens, but do you guys think the tarts will be fine? Just wondering if anyone else has used 1343 for tarts. Thanks!

LOL, if you made them last night aren't they done by now?

I would think they're mottled and kinda wet.

Oh, they are done. Took them out of the molds this morning. I haven't had a chance to test yet because I am at work. They popped out of the mold very easily, and the appearance is what I would consider normal. I will test one tonight, just curious if anyone else had used this wax for this purpose before:cool2:

Oh, they are done. Took them out of the molds this morning. I haven't had a chance to test yet because I am at work. They popped out of the mold very easily, and the appearance is what I would consider normal. I will test one tonight, just curious if anyone else had used this wax for this purpose before:cool2:
No reason it wouldn't work, but without additives it doesn't hold as much FO as people often want to put into their tarts.

I never had any luck with tarts using 1343. It barely holds any oil...only 3% if I'm correct...plus what little it does hold, a lot of it still weeps out and mottles. As far as scent throw...I never got very good scent throw in tarts, nor in pillars. I don't know how other people are doing it, but they are...I guess I don't know what the secret to this wax is...it looks nice...just doesn't throw well...IMO.

I never had any luck with tarts using 1343. It barely holds any oil...only 3% if I'm correct...plus what little it does hold, a lot of it still weeps out and mottles. As far as scent throw...I never got very good scent throw in tarts, nor in pillars. I don't know how other people are doing it, but they are...I guess I don't know what the secret to this wax is...it looks nice...just doesn't throw well...IMO.

By itself 1343 holds as much FO as just about any other 138 MP paraffin. Not much. But you don't use straight paraffin for pretty much anything except maybe those emergency candles they sell in the supermarket. Your preblends are designed with additives. If you buy straight paraffin, then you add your own. If you like you can make a wax that holds 8% FO using 1343 as your base.

Hey Top...thanks for your reply. I did add stearic to 1343. For pillars I'd add 1-2 tablespoons per lb of wax...that's if I wanted some mottling. For rustics I'd add 3-4 tablespoons per lb of wax. I used 1 oz fo per lb of wax when making my pillars because adding any more to this wax would just weep out while it burned. I could not get this wax to throw for anything. I switched to 4045 (straight paraffin) add same amount of stearic but add 1.5 oz fo per lb of wax and I can actually smell them while they're burning, unlike the 1343. I found that the only way that I could detect a scent throw with the 1343 was if I had at least three pillars burning at one time and then the scent throw was light to moderate at best. Regarding the tarts...maybe I never added stearic to these when I made them...it was quite some time ago so I'm not sure. Anyway...I found a great wax combo for my tarts so I'm happy with them now. I was, however, curious as to how others were getting this wax to throw...I figured I was doing something wrong. :tongue2:

Fern, I'm not sure if your issue is so much with the throw of the wax as with how much FO you can get it to hold. Sounds like you're happier with 4045H because you can get it to hold 50% more fragrance.

I may be wrong about this, but I don't think much about scent throw when it comes to straight paraffin. To me, plain wax is all the same and scent throw is really something you measure more in the end product rather than the raw material. It depends primarily on your formulation as well as the amount and strength of the FO.

I recently put up some votives in the gallery that are made using a new formulation I came up with. Observation #1 with these was that just 4 of them sitting next to me was a pretty intense experience - the cold throw is just outstanding. I don't really think to myself, wow that IGI 1230 is terrific wax I'm gonna get some more. I had most of a test slab lying around and want to use it up. I figure I can get that result with any similar wax if I mix it up the same.

I haven't figured out the key design consideration for good throw, but with rustics and especially mottles you can't go far beyond plain wax and stearic, so whatever paraffin holds the oil well for you is probably the way to go. 4045H works better because it's a higher MP wax.