Ok, how come??

samandkennasmom

Hi,

Ok, I got my farm house soap molds, got the melt and pour from ebc, also a ton of stuff I bought to put into my bars and here I sit, looking and doing nothing. I don't want to start with a boring one, but don't want to start with one too hard so here I sit doing none!!! Does anyone have any thoughts? I love those molds I bought, they look really professional!

Hugs

Michele

It's probably a good idea to start somewhat basic. Make a batch or two of "plain" bars so that you get an idea of the consistancy and have a grasp of what you're working with before you go for something harder. Shortly after I started making soap I wanted NOTHING more then to make exfoliating soap. I was told "stir it until it's thick" well I didn't have enough of a grasp on what I was working with to get it done right. Then someone suggested using fruit Pectin, that was a TOTAL mess. Finally, after I had worked with the soap a while, it just "dawned" on me what I was doing wrong and then I tried one last time and pulled it off with the first batch. I had wasted about 5lbs of soap trying to do this because I jumped the gun. I still can't get layers down right very often. Usually they pull apart on me.

So here's what I would suggest, get a few plainer batches made. Then try playing with some marbling, that's a relatively easy but very pretty technique. Dig around after that and pick something that you might like to play with.

Hi,

Does anyone know what can be used as colorants besides buying the colors for made for soap?

Hugs

Michele

Oxides, I'm still mastering these, but got the technique down pretty well without killing any soap.

There foodies that you can use and quite a variety at that.

Food coloring, though the colors don't always hold up the best.

There's herbals/"organics" (and I use that to mean natural stuff and not necessarily organic in the sense of the more expensive produce you buy at the store).

Hi,

I just keep looking at it all, I don't want to make something totally boring, I used to try and do a little melt and pour quite a while ago so it wouldn't be my first but close....I don't want to make a boring white, I'd like a color but don't know what to use....

Hugs

Michele:)