Surf N Turf Melter Reviews

I know some of you have used the surf n turf.

How long does it take to melt your wax? Is it a quick as a presto?

I would love to get one of these, ( Since a Large melter is just too expensive right now), but wanted some reviews from currecnt users.

I have a turkey roaster and it just takes toooooooo long to melt.

I do use presto's, 3 or 4 at a time, but would love to just get a big melter.

Thanks!!!:grin2:

I don't post very often because I don't feel I have much to contribute, but I wanted to let you know that I own two of the Surf n Turf cookers and love them!! I used to use the Presto Pots and switched over about a year ago and have not been disappointed. The Surf n Turf melts the wax quite quickly (when I plug it in and it is 3/4 full it takes about 1/2 hour). I am just very cautious to not turn the heat up too high and I don't leave them plugged in when I'm not home. So, if you are asking if they are worth it, my answer would be absolutely. Last year I was able to get mine on clearance at Target, but I don't know if they carry them anymore.

If I can help with any questions, let me know.

Shelley

:cool2:

I have never had any problems with the wax clogging coming out of the nozzle, and to be honest what I really like about them is they don't get really hot to the touch on the outside like the presto pots did, especially since I have little children around my house!!

HTH

Shelley

• 1 month later...

Already posted on another thread. Got mine Friday and put it to use Saturday. I'm not really worried about the elements being exposed. Remember it was made for vegetable oils (peanut, etc.) The controls hold it at 195 which is what I keep my prestos at. So impressed, in fact, we ordered a 2nd one yesterday. The outside of the pot is cool to touch and the lid has fixed holes in it, so I just put in 1 of my long thermometers to consantly check temp. Will post again if I have any problems with them!!

Trish, on the other thread said to melt enough wax to complete cover the element before adding wax to be melted to the Surf & Turk melter. She also said to never leave it unattended but that she had no problems with it. I plan to get one as I need a large melter for so many orders and it will make restocking candles for a show a breeze.

It should hold about 35-40 lbs of melted wax but to fill it slowly when first learning how to use it. As I still melt wax in huge double boilers on my stove, I'll just continue to add the color as I pull 8#s out at a time of the melter and then divide the wax into my four pour pots.

Dont usually post on this section but the Turk n Surf is AWESOME!!!!!! I have been using mine all weekend and have had no problems.

For the one who asked...YES...you can reheat unused hardened wax...no problem.

However, I would turn it on the lowest setting and let the wax start to melt before I turned it up.

Only problem I have found with it is that the spigot does not come out too far from the pot. So, we built a stand to where a pot could slide half underneath the turknsurf so that missing the pot or spills is no longer a problem!

I would definitly reccomend one...definitly if you do large production like I do.

My hubby and I picked one up at the BASS PRO Fishing Outfitter Store... As it happened, we got the floor sample (since they were out AND there was a "store coupon" for 40% off too).

Ultimately we got the thing for cheap AND, I went in to a different 'line' with a coupon too and purchased a long thermometer as well. Well worth the gas to drive the distance we found this from home.....

At this point, I'd watch for the After Holiday Sales, since this item seems to be one that does go up before...

Good luck!

MPP

NOTE: By the time your wax is melted, I assure you any wax that could have been left in the spigot is also melted and ready to pass out. Your Presto and/or S&T won't "clog"!

I have a question about using the surf 'n turf with soy wax. I read before not to use a presto pot with a spigot when melting soy because if you let the soy cool down to around 100 degrees that the spigot will clog up. Is this true with the surf 'n turf and its nozzle?

When ever using soy that has to cool down, you cool it in the pour pot not the melter. Pour off you soy into a pour pot, add color and F/O and then allow the cooling to take place. My soy is poured hot so no problem.:)