Looking for something for psoriasis

Starr

I'm looking for a recipe that would be good for someone with psoriasis. I did a little digging around on the web and found that a lot of sufferers like a soap with cucumber and green tea. So I'm thinking some essential oils are in order. I'm having a TERRIBLE time finding actual cucumber essential oil or even green tea essential oil (but I'm thinking about steeping some strong green tea and just adding some of that).

Anyone ever done anything like this or know where I can get my hands on cucumber essential oils?

I would love to have a recipe if you find one. I have only used a few items that helped and one was a seaweed soap that I bought a long time ago from a vender at a show and it helped. I have psoriasis and it is bad this time of the year. If you find anything out - I would love to be a tester for ya LOL. Good luck with your search!

I always appreciate willing testers. I was trying to make up something for my step father. I know he can be kinda miserable with it. I've been sending tons of stuff for mom to try out, but I know that my step-father has to be all too careful with what he tries.

I will certainly keep seaweed in mind though.

Thanks!

Rosemary kind of surprises me as I always find it kind of... harsh.

Lavender I had considered but since I was making this primarily for my step-father, I figured I'd avoid making him smell flowery.

I haven't tried working with coal tar or emu oil yet, any suggestions you have for working with those materials?

Ok, seaweed power is on it's way to me.

Looking at emu and coal tar.

Thinking about a few drops of tea tree oil as opposed to lavender as they both have those nice skin properties (and similar ones at that).

Would REALLY love to get my hands on some cucumber oil for added benefit and hopefully some scent. I'm loathe to throw FO into this knowing that I'm making it for skin conditions.

No, you definitely don't want any FO. I think the coal tar (also stinky) is the most beneficial ingredient for a soap, though you really aren't going to get much relief from soap. If you want to make him something that will actually soothe and heal the skin, I recommend a leave-on balm. You can use lip balm ratios of wax to oils and add the essential oils etc to that. Try to keep it simple so that you actually have a high enough ratio of beneficial oils. If you need help with a formula, pm me. The following oils are highly penetrating and known for their ability to soothe and heal these types of conditions:

emu

borage

hemp

jojoba

Oh I know the soap isn't going to be super beneficial, but I feel bad that I keep sending mom all these fun soaps to try and my step father can't use them. So this is sort of a "Hey I was thinking of you and maybe this will help a bit" sort of thing.

I've done lotions, LOVE doing lotions actually, but I haven't tried any balms yet as DH has mostly forbidden me to add to the line right now, I'm taking over more and more of what was supposed to be the "Man Cave" with the candles/soaps/lotions.

Whipping up a balm just for this though wouldn't require too much of an additional take over... I might have to consider it.

I'm taking over more and more of what was supposed to be the "Man Cave" with the candles/soaps/lotions.

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

If you make soap and lotion, you should already have all the ingredients in the "wo"-man cave you need to make a balm. Super simple! Melt everything, stir, pour into a jar. Really.

Check out New Direction Aromatics...they have cucumber extract (powder form) and green tea extract..I think it's powder form too but not sure. You could always infuse your oils with the powder.

I have TONS of the cucumber extract because I had no idea how much 16 oz would be when I ordered. I almost passed out when I opened the box! Anyway, if you want to try some let me know and I could send you some. I haven't experimented with it yet, but now am thinking I might!

coco - We're talking butters and oils right? A good mix of those and then throw a little lotion into it for extra creaminess?

ah-soy - That is a most appreciated offer. PM coming your way! Also will be checking out green tea extract/powder stuff from New Directions. Thank you!

Yes, just melt butters and oils and add beeswax so that you can get it to an ointment type consistency (though the oils I recommended absorb quickly so it isn't super greasy) and voila! I wouldn't add lotion.

Hi Starr,

I suffer from Psoriasis and I don't like coal tar or pine tar at all. It aggravates mine. I think part of the problem with psoriasis is that each persons is different and as such responds differently to products also. I do know the above helps some people but as I said I am one of the ones it doesnt help.

That said, emu oil and rosehip do help me - straight onto the skin. A lotion balm that has either of those is good for my skin. Also I use nettle, green tea and cucumber as it is cooling - all are extracts not eo's. Aloe is also cooling and helpful too.

Apparently psoriasis is an auto immune issue also and of course, stress related as well. There are so many areas of this particular disease, I wonder what triggers your Step-fathers? Maybe ask him so questions such as

does his feel hot/burning

is his skin really tight and super dry

where is his psoriasis - if its in his hair, a lotion would need to be thinner than if it is on his hands or legs.

etc etc.

Is it worse in dry heat (ie heating) or humid conditions

All these will help you be able to relieve his condition and if you get the answer or some sort of relief soap/cream/lotion I would love to know what it is. I would be eternally grateful if someone would help out my scalp, hands and shins! :)

jo

Well, I have to admit that I didn't think I was quite the chemist enough to feel comfortable messing around with Coal Tar the more I read about it.

I've got a few idea's buzzing around my head for doing this. Definitely going to throw some cucumber, tea tree, and aloe in. Still working out what oils I'm going to bring to the party, emu seems likely. I picked up a small bit of seaweed powder, and I'll more then most likely toss some of that in too. If I were making this for a woman, lavender wouldn't even be a question, but I love my step-dad too much to make him flowery.

I know his condition is worse in the summer months, in this corner of the world, that means a combo of humidity and heat.

Hello, my son "had" Psoriasis on the back of his hands, bad. A friend of his, who also suffers, told him to get off red meat. NO BEEF! He has been free for 4 years. I think you need to start from within and then use a balm. Just my thoughts but, it worked for my son.

hope you don't mind a bit of a highjack.... i've been researching emu oil for rosacea, which my best friend has. it seems it should help, but i've never made lotion or creams. i started out last year with candles and recently started playing with melt and pour. also feel myself getting pulled to cold process and other bath and body, God help me!

anyway, i have emu and jojoba oil, shea and mango butters, beeswax and a few different kinds of soy wax. i've read that soy wax is greasier than beeswax, so maybe i shouldn' use it.

can anyone suggest a mix that might be good? i guess emu and jojoba, i've noticed lotion bars use butters, wax and oils. do i need butter? i read someone (coco?) said no lotion needed, that's good 'cause i don't have any lotion base (yet :smiley2:).

thanks in advance for any help!!

ei

thanks, i'll look into using it for rosacea. i've never heard of it before, but i know the internet has!

I have seborrheic dermatitis on my face - red patches with dry scales of skin.

One thing that has been great to me is cream with Balsam Peru. Maybe try some of that as well? Takes care of my redness, and flakes completely.

hope you don't mind a bit of a highjack.... i've been researching emu oil for rosacea, which my best friend has. it seems it should help, but i've never made lotion or creams. i started out last year with candles and recently started playing with melt and pour. also feel myself getting pulled to cold process and other bath and body, God help me!

anyway, i have emu and jojoba oil, shea and mango butters, beeswax and a few different kinds of soy wax. i've read that soy wax is greasier than beeswax, so maybe i shouldn' use it.

can anyone suggest a mix that might be good? i guess emu and jojoba, i've noticed lotion bars use butters, wax and oils. do i need butter? i read someone (coco?) said no lotion needed, that's good 'cause i don't have any lotion base (yet :smiley2:).

thanks in advance for any help!!

ei

Sorry, I just saw this! To be honest, I don't know much about rosacea, though the oils and butters you mention are known for helping with skin conditions. You could definitely use a lotion or cream, I just feel that the added ingredients in lotion (as well as the preservative) could sometimes be more harmful than good for sensitive skin, whereas a balm can be made with all natural oils and needs no preservative.

If you use beeswax, you don't need butters and vice versa. The point of using either of those is to get a thicker consistency in order to be able to spread it on (aside from the qualities of the butters making it nicer of course). That said, if consistency isn't an issue for you, you could also just mix emu and jojoba together and put it straight on as. Sometimes simple is better and those 2 oils (in my opinion of course) are amazing for the skin!

hi coco!

thanks for that info. i tried some jojoba oil a few days ago after reading that it doesn't clog pores and it's close to the skin's natural oil. i love it!! who knew that something i bought to add to soap would turn out to be so great on my skin! i think your suggestion of just emu and jojoba is great and that's exactly what i'm going to do. NOW, do you have a suggestion on proportions? or should i just play around?

thanks again!

ei

Sorry, I just saw this! To be honest, I don't know much about rosacea, though the oils and butters you mention are known for helping with skin conditions. You could definitely use a lotion or cream, I just feel that the added ingredients in lotion (as well as the preservative) could sometimes be more harmful than good for sensitive skin, whereas a balm can be made with all natural oils and needs no preservative.

If you use beeswax, you don't need butters and vice versa. The point of using either of those is to get a thicker consistency in order to be able to spread it on (aside from the qualities of the butters making it nicer of course). That said, if consistency isn't an issue for you, you could also just mix emu and jojoba together and put it straight on as. Sometimes simple is better and those 2 oils (in my opinion of course) are amazing for the skin!

hi coco!

thanks for that info. i tried some jojoba oil a few days ago after reading that it doesn't clog pores and it's close to the skin's natural oil. i love it!! who knew that something i bought to add to soap would turn out to be so great on my skin! i think your suggestion of just emu and jojoba is great and that's exactly what i'm going to do. NOW, do you have a suggestion on proportions? or should i just play around?

thanks again!

ei

Just play around! I would just mix it half and half, but you may find that your skin prefers one over the other. Try the emu on its own and see how you like that. If the emu feels better, then use a larger proportion of that (or vice versa).

Another suggestion, try soaking a cotton ball in some milk or yogurt and applying it to your skin-they both contain lactic acid which gently exfoliate and normalize the skin. I do mild chemical peels (the lactic is my favorite) every month for exfoliation and swear by them. I was shocked after I did my first one at how readily my skin absorbed oils after I shed all those crusty old skin cells!

that's what i'll do, i'd like to use as much emu as i can without it getting too heavy. emu is definitely greasy. the jojoba absorbs right into the skin.

i'll also try the milk or yogurt, never used it.

you are so full of info and so willing to share! :yay: thanks again for all your help!!

Just play around! I would just mix it half and half, but you may find that your skin prefers one over the other. Try the emu on its own and see how you like that. If the emu feels better, then use a larger proportion of that (or vice versa).

Another suggestion, try soaking a cotton ball in some milk or yogurt and applying it to your skin-they both contain lactic acid which gently exfoliate and normalize the skin. I do mild chemical peels (the lactic is my favorite) every month for exfoliation and swear by them. I was shocked after I did my first one at how readily my skin absorbed oils after I shed all those crusty old skin cells!