J-50 solution

For several years, I've used J-50 as a base for my paraffin/soy blend, and since IGI bought out Astor, I've been having trouble making it work. The surface was lousy, and as the candle set up, it pulled away from the jar wall, causing what looked like crusty white swirls. Usually a heat gun would fix the white patches, but nothing I tried stopped the problem from occurring. I tried pouring at various temperatures, (IGI's instructions said 170 -195 degrees) and tried modifying my formula, but nothing worked. IGI provided no help. Their attitude was their wax met their specifications, and if I was unhappy, buy from someone else. The response from the CMS was the same, and I was in the process of finding another wax, but had 500 pounds of the J-50 which had to be used. This weekend, I tried pouring at temperature just above the congealing point, and it seems to have worked. Everything I poured this weekend was fine. So my new pour temp is 140 degrees.

Fredron

I am happy to see that you have found a way to relieve your J50 wax woes :yay: It is very kind of you to post your findings in order to help others out who also are experiencing the same problems. It is ashame that IGI can't leave well enough alone with the formulas. Like they think we won't notice :rolleyes2