What size to make wooden soap molds

Juggy

My DH is going to try and make me some CP wooden soap molds but I'm not sure what measurements to give him. I will be using a 3 lb recipe and want 12 bars appr. 3 x 2.5 x 1 (or less). I have been using boxes so far and would like to have log and slab molds. I think a 12 bar log mold is 2.5 wide, 3.5 tall and 14" long but is that the inside or outside measurements? Also, does it matter what kind of wood, pine or maple maybe? Any help would be appreciated.

I have made two for myself and believe me I am no carpenter but they work. I used pine. I drilled holes and put in dowles and glued them together. so far so good.

I line mine with trash bags and after probably 24 batches of soap, they are still holding up well.

I want to swirl and am finally starting to make some progress so I designed a 12 x 7 box for that purpose. that is an inside measurement. I will be pouring only 1 1/4 inch think so I am pretty sure the swirls will finally reach the bottom instead of only going half way thru.

good luck and happy soaping

Hi, Juggy

First, let me introduce myself. I finally came out of lurking and decided to join. I've only started making candles but I've been making soap for about 4 years. I have six log molds that I made myself and they are really very simple to make. They are all made out of 1 x 4 from Lowe's. The real dimensions of a 1 x 4 are "3/4 x 3-1/2". If you cut your soap at 1", you'll need three (3) pieces of 1 x 4 cut to 12" (that will be the bottom and both sides) and two (2) pieces cut 5" long (these are the ends). I screwed mine together instead of using glue, etc. in case I need to get a stubborn log out. Lay one 12" piece (the bottom) flat and attach one 12" piece to the OUTSIDE of the bottom. Do the same for the other side. Attach the 5" pieces to the ends. Now you have a log mold. The dimensions for your soap (inside) will be 3-1/2" (w) x 2-3/4" (h) x 12" (l). I also make 3lb. (68 oz) batches and they fit perfectly. My logs are 15" long because I cut 1-1/4". I've been using these for about two years and they have done fine. I think all six of them cost less than $20. Hope that helps a little.:)

• 4 weeks later...