body butter has hard "grains" in it

Lyndsay

Ok I need help! I found this recipe on here...I cant find it again though. Anyways, when I made this and put it in a jar. A few days later I used it and it had hard "grains" in it, They melted with the heat of my hands but still...why is it doing this and how do I fix it?

When I make the butter I make sure everything is fully melted...

cocoa butter - 28g

shea butter - 28g

grapeseed oil - 24g

sao - 32g

jojoba - 14g

aloe butter - 14g

beeswax - 36g

fragrance

Try softening your hard butters instead of melting them.

Melt your beeswax with your grapeseed, sao and jojoba.

Then add the softened butters and the rest of your ingredients to a cooled down beeswax and oil combination.

You could then whip it if you choose or dispense it into containers.

HTH

Exactly, just like you would with real butter.

I sometimes make a whipped herb butter.

I let it soften on the counter and then put it in the mixing bowl.

It is still opaque and has body, but not melted into an oil.

Oh yes, you can do this in a microwave if you have low power settings.

Just be patient and not try to do it too fast.

Sounds like your shea butter is 'fractionating' (as shea is prone to do with temp changes). You can try tempering it as you would chocolate. The grainies don't hurt anything, but they seem to be a cosmetic 'feel' issue with users.

Smacky's idea sounds good too, I may just give it a try!

Shea butter does strange things over time. Especially with temperature variance. It all depends on what type of element [storage, heat and exposure to air] touches the finished product, after the sale. Sometimes a customer [one of us] can receive shea that is already grainy. Same thing- storage and shipping conditions. You can temper the shea a few time's and get a great result. Less heat and room temp cooling. Low heat will not kill all the natural qualities.

I've tested countless formulation's with shea butter. It does have some amazing qualities. All those natural BIG BRAND companies use shea butter in SMALL quantity/percentage, thus the smoother feel for the end user. They are emulsified formulations. Not a true "whipped" butter. More like a thick cream~ stabilizers bind it together. The feel is slick/wet/cold [and stable d/t paraben preservative] but it removes some [if not all] of the healing properties of natural shea d/t heat exposure. Thus the shea is for label appeal. The FDA label guidelines regulate these companies just like food.

A true shea butter "lover" has appreciation for it's natural qualities. No water in the product, thus the change over time~ but not usually visible mold or gram positive. Shea is stable until you add water to the mix or heat. The marketplace right now is very focused on green/eco type consumer spending. It is all the rage.

Lush started in a basement or garage. Look at them now!

Something to ponder. :)