Sodium Hydroxide! Hope I do not grow a third eye!

Seasons

Hello, I'm new here and have much to learn about soap making.

Last night I thought to myself, "Gosh, it can't be that hard. The ancients did it. I have some noodles in my head!"

I tried to make lie soap with crystal drain opener lie. In my kitchen! I thought because I took chemestry in college I'd be OK. MAN! am I a doofas!

My question is, I accedently breathed a little of the gas when I mixed the crystal solution with soft water. Should I seek medical advise? It burned my nose hairs out! :laugh2: just joking! It did burn a little and cause me to caugh a while. Am I going to grow a third eye in the middle of my forehead?

All jokes aside, I did not realize that caustic sada was so darn caustic! I still want to make my own soap. I just need to be MUCH MORE AWARE of what the heck I'm doing!

I have a wood stove and would like to make my own lie. Is it really possible? And, can a person make lie soap with ROEBIC Crystal Drain Opener? I'm a little gun shy on that stuff now! :tiptoe:

Thanks,

Marilyn

No third eye. You should be ok but next time mix your lye in a well ventilated area away from pets, kids and husbands.

I don't know how to make lye out of wood ash, there are website that can teach you. If you're afraid of the jar stuff, I wouldn't suggest you make your own. You'd never know the exact strength.

I do believe you can use Roebic but you should do a search on the name. I've seen it posted many times, you should be able to find that answer easy enough.

First make sure that drain opener is 100% sodium hydroxide. One of the precautions to take when working with lye is to always mix it in a well ventilated area. If you want full details of lye handling precautions you can google the MSDS for sodium hydroxide, as well as doing a search on most soaping forums.

Sodium Hydroxide is classified as a corrosive. Meaning you want to have eye (VERY IMPORTANT) protection and skin protection. If you have any type of respiratory (sp) problems or when working with a large amount you will also want to wear a mask. Chemical supply places will have the right type of mask to use. Even if a mask is not needed be sure to be in a well ventilated area and to avoid breathing the fumes. You might have to step away from the lye/water mix a couple of times as the fumes rise. That is normal.

It is essential that you learn the first aid steps if you get lye on you. It is not vinegar. Flush with full force cold/temperate water for 10-20 minutes. If you get lye in your eye you follow the same steps. The water flushing must be continous. Also in case of eye injury or a large area of skin contact call 911.

Practice proper safety measures and you should do just fine. Happy Soaping.

http://www.millersoap.com/

go there, read all you can, click on every link available and read some more.

It's a great site and a good starting point for getting answers to the most basic questions when you first begin this journey.

Good luck!

I agree.

and while you can make a caustic from wood ashes it's not that simple - well making the lye is simple but figuring out how to use it isn't because it's not of a standardized strength. (plus that caustic isn't sodium hydroxide - it's too early for me to remember exactly what you get)

I agree.

and while you can make a caustic from wood ashes it's not that simple - well making the lye is simple but figuring out how to use it isn't because it's not of a standardized strength. (plus that caustic isn't sodium hydroxide - it's too early for me to remember exactly what you get)

Actually, you get caustic potash, which makes old time soft soap. You have to "salt it out" to make hard bars. :)

My granny (great grandmother) did it that way, until she could afford canned lye....after that, she never looked back.

Actually, you get caustic potash, which makes old time soft soap. You have to "salt it out" to make hard bars. :)

My granny (great grandmother) did it that way, until she could afford canned lye....after that, she never looked back.

That's a pretty cool granny. :)

I bet I have some caustic potash in our firepit outside. lol I'm not interested in making soap with it.