Wedding Favors order.....

Michi

My very first order ever and I have NO clue how to price these?

Ok, I know that I have to take into consideration all my costs etc. for supplies and such, but how do I decide what my labor is worth?

These are going to be for friends of ours, mind you not super duper close friends, but they are our neighbors, and I've known their daughter (the one getting married) since she was 8 years old, AND my son MAY be her ring bearer in her wedding also.

Since this IS my first order and they ARE friends/neighbors should I give them a "deal" ????

I know that wedding favors can get pricey for any wedding, but until I get a break down of all my supplies costs, I won't have any idea of an "estimate" at all.

I guess I'm just looking for any advice/help from people that may have done big orders similar to this in a similar "friend" situation. ;)

Well, one of my friends started her own wedding/event planning business and we have partnered so I will do favors and any candles that she needs. I am going to do some favors for her for an anniversary party. I am doing the shot glass type votive holders & filling them with wax. I did give her a "deal" since it is her parent's party that they are for, however I am making sure I get some profit too. What I did was got all the numbers from her and what she wants, then I worked up a quote for her, sent it to her for her to approve, she did and now I am making a contract saying that she will pay for half up front (so I can order my supplies) and then half when they are delivered. I am getting married myself in October so I pretty much knew what the going rate was for candle favors, and I made sure to be cheaper than that. So my advice is find out exactly what she wants, how many, and then price everything and come up with the figure you want. I would DEFINATELY make them sign a contract, that way just in case, you are covered. HTH!

So, even though she is your friend and business partner you're still going to make her sign a contract? I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, it makes good business sense, but I'm just wondering how receptive friends are having to do so, KWIM?

I definitely want to get a "deposit" of some kind up front (thank you for reminding me of that) so that I can buy the supplies with that money, and just in case something goes awry, I won't be out that money. ;)

My new dilemna is that she wants these favors in a TRUE cherry scent, not black cherry, not vanilla cherry, etc. and since I've never bought or smelled a cherry scent FO before, that means I will have to buy some small samples etc. to have her sniff to approve.

How would I go about adding that cost into the mix, or would I????

Yes, even though we are "partners" so to speak and friends, you bet your life she's signin a contract! This girl can be a little flakey, like one day shes up my butt about doing this that and the other, and the next day, when I need her, you can't get ahold of her. I will always make anyone I do business with sign a contract. Just make it out when you tell them that its for their protection, like if God forbid she's not happy with your work or you just fall off the face of the earth (not that you will do this but everyone is safe all around with a contract IMO), then she has something to hold against you and vice versa. What if two months until the wedding she decides to cancel her order or whatever...you are protected this way. As for the cherry FO, try a wild cherry. I personally use black cherry, but just get a few samples, rebottle them and label them just cherry and she will never know the difference. Take it from a crazy bride! LOL!

She wants a scent you don't already have? Does she know you don't have a "true" cherry? I would bring her the cherries you do have and let her pick one. Explain to her the time expense involved in testing a new FO. If you do have the time to do the test, then charge a $20 set up fee for finding and testing the new FO.

Also, I would not let her smell OOB. The FO can change in the wax and then she might not be happy with the candles.

Be assertive. YOU are the candle expert not her. YOU CAN DO THIS.

and YES get a contract - ESCPECIALLY between family and friends. And if you get your costs covered in that deposit, if things go sour you are not out the money to buy the supplies.

JMO - I have been burned by friends several times. WILL NOT happen to me again. Hope it doesn't happen to you either.

Dat

Dat has a good point about the FOs. If you have a black cherry, just fib and say oh its a new cherry I found for you. It'll save you the headache. Or you can charge the set up fee. I would definately make some sample candles and not let her smell OOB. I know how many of mine don't smell so good OOB but smell great in wax.

Well, since I don't have ANY cherry scents at all, and I've never made these particular type candles, I can't see charging them a "set up fee" for them, but I was going to include the cost of the different samples into the total charge.

I will definitely draw up a proposal for the costs etc. before I agree to make the total amount, and make sure that they are in agreement, and get at least 1/2 the total as a deposit, so that JUST IN CASE the wedding falls through or whatever, I will not be out the money it cost me for all the supplies etc. :)

Thanks for all your help/advice!!! :D