Zinc Wicks and the new law that is in effect 2-10-09

I know it is regarding children items but they put in there about candles with metal cores. Here is what was posted:

The stay does not apply to:

*Four requirements for third-party testing and certification of

certain children's products subject to:

**The ban on lead in paint and other surface coatings effective for

products made after December 21, 2008;

**The standards for full-size and non full-size cribs and pacifiers

effective for products made after January 20, 2009;

**The ban on small parts effective for products made after February

15, 2009; and

**The limits on lead content of metal components of children's

jewelry effective for products made after March 23, 2009.

*Certification requirements applicable to ATV's manufactured after

April 13, 2009.

*Pre-CPSIA testing and certification requirements, including for:

automatic residential garage door openers, bike helmets, candles with

metal core wicks, lawnmowers, lighters, mattresses, and swimming pool

slides; and

*Pool drain cover requirements of the Virginia Graeme Baker Pool &

Spa Safety Act.

I asked about that and got only why some people prefer to use zinc lol!

Zinc is a low-end metal and that law indicates metal (not specific) so I think we need to find out from suppliers here about that.

Maybe they were still tailoring the act to lead core wicks that apparently still find their way here through imports, but they need to be more specific is my thought.

I think it is including zinc by the way it is written, but haven't run into anything that says otherwise or necessarily agrees.

Somehow, candles with metal wicks aren't a child's toy.

I asked about that and got only why some people prefer to use zinc lol!

Zinc is a low-end metal and that law indicates metal (not specific) so I think we need to find out from suppliers here about that.

Maybe they were still tailoring the act to lead core wicks that apparently still find their way here through imports, but they need to be more specific is my thought.

I think it is including zinc by the way it is written, but haven't run into anything that says otherwise or necessarily agrees.

Somehow, candles with metal wicks aren't a child's toy.

Maybe we do need to find out from the suppliers. Maybe they will supply us something that says they are safe and that they have only .004%.of lead content.

I guess I am going to have to retest with a different wick until it is clear. DARN IT!!!

I wonder why Candle Science didn't tell me that when I asked. They just said they are not reordering any products that don't sell so well . It seems they are cutting corners like most of us who can't be stocking up on our slower moving products. I was given the impression that the zinc wicks are one of those products that's not moving as well lately. Maybe they just didn't want to say at the time, the real reason or maybe they really did give me the real reason. Guess we'll just have to wait and see which one is correct. I sure do have a lot of zinc wicks (my favorites) I hope I haven't wasted money on.

They just said they are not reordering any products that don't sell so well .

When I talked to them, they also stated they didn't sell that many zincs and said it was alot of trouble to have to label them due to some new rule.

At the time, I didn't know what rule or law they were talking about.

It’s not really a new regulation going into effect on February 10th. It’s a stay on the enforcement of requirements aimed at various consumer products. In a nutshell, it means a bunch of consumer products are getting an extra year to get into compliance with the CPSC.

However, the stay, or time extension to comply, isn’t given to candles with metal core wicks. So, does that mean you have to ditch your zinc core wicks, and start all over? No. It just means you should consider getting into compliance.

When the regulation pertaining to metal core wicks was introduced several years ago, it struck me as annoying. To comply, you have be able to state that your wicks aren’t the bad ones, and “Conforms to 16 CFR 1500.17(a)(13).” with a sticker or label on the carton. At first, it seemed kind of silly to have to label the zinc cored wicks as conforming, while there was no equivalent requirement for the lead cored ones such as “contains banned material that is hazardous to humans.” What do I know though?

What will it take for many people to get into compliance? It is pretty much as simple as putting a sticker on the carton to indicate that it “Conforms to 16 CFR 1500.17(a)(13).”

Your supplier should be able to confirm this information for you. Every zinc core wick I’ve seen made in the USA is well below the standards set forth by the CPSC ruling. But, check with your supplier to be sure.

I’m usually a defiant person when it comes to more regulation. It’s probably a trait left-over from teen age years. Anyway, I thought more about this issue this morning. The labeling requirement doesn’t really seem that bad. Take for instance a label that says: These carefully crafted candles Conform to 16 CFR 1500.17(a)(13) as set forth by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission… sounds like a feature, doesn’t it? :wink2:

Cheers,

Alan

Ours exceed the standard, and that is probably true for most suppliers.

You're probably OK with the zinc core wicks from any supplier in the United States, if they are getting wicks made in the USA. It doesn't hurt to ask them though.

Alan, do you think it would be a good idea for us then to put this on the labels "These carefully crafted candles Conform to 16 CFR 1500.17(a)(13) as set forth by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission". At least something to that effect.

Customers might go ...what the heck does that mean?

Linette

If you just put "conforms to 16 CFR 1500.17(a)(13)," then the uninitiated will certainly wonder what that means. But, if you add that it has to do with the CPSC, then maybe they'll know where to look it up if interested. Its obviously more than what is required, but may be helpful...