Melt pool turns ugly

Hi everyone, has anyone had this problem or know what causes it. I have began testing candle jars {and ain't that a nightmare!}. I made a 226 gram {I think thats 8oz in your language?} Metro using CB 135, CS baby powder @ 10%, light pink dye chip and HTP 73 and 83. I got a nice melt pool and scent throw, however once the melt pool had solidified, it was an ugly grey colour. No wick bits had dropped into the melt pool. I also did the above only using CB Advanced with the same ugly result.

I have poured a couple more, the same as above, only without the dye chip.

I have used the CB Advanced with a different fragrance and dye chip and did not have the ugly solidified pool {although I've about given up on CB Advanced because of its lack of scent throw}.

Since I now have to wait 2 days before I can find out if the dye chip is the culprit, I was hoping one of you guys could give me a clue as to why this happens. e.g. is it only certain scents or dyes that are a problem?

The wax, once resolidified, is seriously ugly! and most definately unsaleable in that condition.

Thanks for any input.

I don't know if this is going to help, because I use palm wax. But I do get an ugly melt pool with some scents, if I make a light colored candle. I made a lavender scent using a pale lavender color, the melt pool was ugly. I made the candle again in a darker color and it helped tremendously. I believe it is the combination of fo and the wick. I have tried the color chips vs liquid and it did not make any difference. For me, it was all about the fo. Hope this helps!

Thanks everyone!

Using the same FO [CS baby powder] Ive used 2 different waxes, 3 different wicks, 2 different types of jars, 2 with {the same colour chip} and one with no colour and all have resulted in the same ugly grey melt pool. Im fairly sure it must be the FO. I have one curing now, ready to test tomorrow. Ive used the same FO [i love this scent and want it to work] but reduced the % to 8 instead of 10. Ive added a light blue colour chip so that at least, the grey top wont look so bad as it does against the cream or light pink wax.

Now if I can just get CS Love Spell to produce a decent throw in Ecosoya Advanced or even CB 135........or a combination of both {Ive tried ever it all} I sure hope these jar candles turn out to be worth all the effort!!

Its more than the likely the FO. However, since you say you had a nice melt pool and the throw was great, what difference does it really make? All things considered, isn't the idea to have a candle that burns clean and throws great? I think so. It would be one thing if the candle was leaving soot but just a discolored melt pool would not be too much of a concern for me. If it is to you, try colored containers. Personally, I would not worry about it and if you sell, I don't think that your customers would worry either.

This fragrance is such a good seller in tarts for me, so Im going to offer it in jar candles. It looks like the discoloured melt pool is here to stay, so I'll just have to try to make it look less noticable by using a different colour dye chip. Dang....the pale pink is such a pretty colour! Hey maybe if I use a grey dye chip, the melt pool will turn pink??:laugh2:

Ok not to argue but when most people buy candles it is for the color and then the scent, to make sure it matches there decor and of course smells good. Me on the other hand I really dont care what color it is as long as it smells good. But I wouldnt expect the candle to change colors that bad after I light it. If it is really ugly I will try that FO from a different supplier(s), and if that didnt work I would not sell that FO. Now this is just my opinion, and I am sorry if you dont agree but I feel you should be confident and feel proud of your creation.

I mean really how would you feel if you had customers bring it back to you saying "this candle turned into a really ugly color". I mean are you going to tell the truth and say "you already knew that but that is how it is", or are you going to lie and say "I wonder why I did that".

As a side note you could call that FO a color changing candle.

Also When I was working with 100% soy candles if my wick was to hot I would get this white ring in the middle of the melt pool, it looked like the color just disappeared out of that part of the wax. Maybe try wicking down a few just to see if that will help out any, and still get good burn results.

Ok not to argue but when most people buy candles it is for the color and then the scent, to make sure it matches there decor and of course smells good. Me on the other hand I really dont care what color it is as long as it smells good. But I wouldnt expect the candle to change colors that bad after I light it. If it is really ugly I will try that FO from a different supplier(s), and if that didnt work I would not sell that FO. Now this is just my opinion, and I am sorry if you dont agree but I feel you should be confident and feel proud of your creation.

I mean really how would you feel if you had customers bring it back to you saying "this candle turned into a really ugly color". I mean are you going to tell the truth and say "you already knew that but that is how it is", or are you going to lie and say "I wonder why I did that".

No I would not lie. No reason to. AND I don't lie. I would tell them some FOs do that. And I would not feel bad. IF they were that upset about it, I'd let them pick another candle. I'm not going to stand there and argue or deny it - no reason to. I don't run my business that way. This would be just like some FOs discolor my candles to a yellow since I don't color them. I tell customers why some are not white. If this has bothered anyone over the years, I have not heard one word about it.

To me, its not that big of a deal AND its not like it happens all the time with all FOs. I've only maybe seen this happen with a handful of FOs over the years and only with one scent I can actually recall it doing it to. It was with ST's "True Lavender" and it did not do it with every batch but it would turn the candle mp a greyish purple. I have die hard lavender fans and not one person mentioned it. And, I've never had a complaint. So, based on that, I wouldn't worry about it. To me, there's more important things I'm looking at in my candles. Perhaps if I had ever heard a complaint I'd feel differently?

As a side note you could call that FO a color changing candle.

Also When I was working with 100% soy candles if my wick was to hot I would get this white ring in the middle of the melt pool, it looked like the color just disappeared out of that part of the wax. Maybe try wicking down a few just to see if that will help out any, and still get good burn results.

I have some that are a little discolored, not real noticeable, but I did Texas Bluebonnet and Lavender, and they both were horribly discolored. I would not like it if I bought a candle and it discolored that bad. I really don't want to have a customer bringing the candle back because it discolored, but that's just me. :cheesy2: :cheesy2:

Good points from both camps!

Ok, Ive just lit the newly made one {well newly made 37hours ago}. This one is made using a light blue dye and 50% CB Advanced - 50% CB 135. The addition of the CB Advanced, at least makes the 'mud pool' smoother and less scary looking. Im hoping {well praying actually}, that the blue colour will look more 'compatible' with the discoloured melt pool.

Using this FO in tarts, doesnt discolour the wax so why it happens, is a real puzzle. My daughter is a Science teacher, so I'll give her some 'homework' this weekend.....maybe she can 'shed some light' on this mystery.

Thanks for your input.

Cheers

No I would not lie. No reason to. AND I don't lie. I would tell them some FOs do that. And I would not feel bad. IF they were that upset about it, I'd let them pick another candle. I'm not going to stand there and argue or deny it - no reason to. I don't run my business that way. This would be just like some FOs discolor my candles to a yellow since I don't color them. I tell customers why some are not white. If this has bothered anyone over the years, I have not heard one word about it.

To me, its not that big of a deal AND its not like it happens all the time with all FOs. I've only maybe seen this happen with a handful of FOs over the years and only with one scent I can actually recall it doing it to. It was with ST's "True Lavender" and it did not do it with every batch but it would turn the candle mp a greyish purple. I have die hard lavender fans and not one person mentioned it. And, I've never had a complaint. So, based on that, I wouldn't worry about it. To me, there's more important things I'm looking at in my candles. Perhaps if I had ever heard a complaint I'd feel differently?

Ok first off (and please correct me if I am wrong) I dont see the need for the attitude. My post was not to you, it was to the original poster. I was just trying to give the OP a view point from someone else. We dont all agree on everything, and we shouldnt, this is what makes each and every one of us different. If we all had the same ideas/opinions this would be a very boring world.

I dont know if anything in my post struck a nerve with you, and I am sorry if it did, but my post was not calling you a liar nor was I telling you how to run your business. This was not my intentions but I do think that some care should be handle with this. The OP said "The wax, once resolidified, is seriously ugly! and most definately unsaleable in that condition." And I feel the same way and I thought she should hear this side also.

IMO if the OP is going to offer this candle for sale then she should disclose this information BEFORE the sale. If she doesnt and someone does complain and she does mention that she all ready knew, how do you think that customer is going to feel. If it was me I would feel like I got ripped off. Now some people might not say anything but the point is what IF someone does. You might have die hard customers that already know your candles but what if this is a new candle maker trying to get started selling to the public, is this really how she wants her customers to see her product?

So again MeridithI am not really sure what I did to warrant that post, as my post was not directed towards you. And again I am sorry if that was the way you took it, that was not what I was meaning to do.

KoalaGirl

I would say try a smaller wick and see if that helps, it really could be the heat causing it to change colors. And I would definitely try that FO from a different supplier. Well I hope this helps you some. Good luck.

Ok first off (and please correct me if I am wrong) I dont see the need for the attitude. My post was not to you, it was to the original poster. I was just trying to give the OP a view point from someone else. We dont all agree on everything, and we shouldnt, this is what makes each and every one of us different. If we all had the same ideas/opinions this would be a very boring world.

I dont know if anything in my post struck a nerve with you, and I am sorry if it did, but my post was not calling you a liar nor was I telling you how to run your business. This was not my intentions but I do think that some care should be handle with this. The OP said "The wax, once resolidified, is seriously ugly! and most definately unsaleable in that condition." And I feel the same way and I thought she should hear this side also.

IMO if the OP is going to offer this candle for sale then she should disclose this information BEFORE the sale. If she doesnt and someone does complain and she does mention that she all ready knew, how do you think that customer is going to feel. If it was me I would feel like I got ripped off. Now some people might not say anything but the point is what IF someone does. You might have die hard customers that already know your candles but what if this is a new candle maker trying to get started selling to the public, is this really how she wants her customers to see her product?

So again MeridithI am not really sure what I did to warrant that post, as my post was not directed towards you. And again I am sorry if that was the way you took it, that was not what I was meaning to do.

KoalaGirl

I would say try a smaller wick and see if that helps, it really could be the heat causing it to change colors. And I would definitely try that FO from a different supplier. Well I hope this helps you some. Good luck.

Excuse me but I don't believe my post had attitude. I addressed and answered your questions that you asked as someone that has had this happen and has not had one complaint. And if you are directing your post to a certain person, perhaps you should clarify that and request that no other answers be given to you. You asked if you'd lie, and I answered that no I would not lie. I don't lie and and I don't run my business that way. If you can't handle an answer/response -especially to questions that you asked, then perhaps you should not post to a thread. As I said, perhaps I'd feel differently had I had a complaint in the last 5 or so years, but since I have not, I don't worry about it.

Good points from both camps!

Ok, Ive just lit the newly made one {well newly made 37hours ago}. This one is made using a light blue dye and 50% CB Advanced - 50% CB 135. The addition of the CB Advanced, at least makes the 'mud pool' smoother and less scary looking. Im hoping {well praying actually}, that the blue colour will look more 'compatible' with the discoloured melt pool.

Using this FO in tarts, doesnt discolour the wax so why it happens, is a real puzzle. My daughter is a Science teacher, so I'll give her some 'homework' this weekend.....maybe she can 'shed some light' on this mystery.

Thanks for your input.

Cheers

If this is something that bothers you regardless of how often it happens, then you can try to change to another supplier, change wicks or whatever you have to do to correct it. I just think that if you don't get complaints, then why go through all the testing of new wicks, another FO, etc. when the customer is happy. You know your customers and your products, so you have to do what's best for you. I'm sure whatever you choose, you will be O.K. But you have to be happy as well with your product since you are the one making and selling it.

If you daughter figures it out, I'd love to hear what she finds. :)

Excuse me but I don't believe my post had attitude. I addressed and answered your questions that you asked as someone that has had this happen and has not had one complaint. And if you are directing your post to a certain person, perhaps you should clarify that and request that no other answers be given to you. You asked if you'd lie, and I answered that no I would not lie. I don't lie and and I don't run my business that way. If you can't handle an answer/response -especially to questions that you asked, then perhaps you should not post to a thread. As I said, perhaps I'd feel differently had I had a complaint in the last 5 or so years, but since I have not, I don't worry about it.

Ok first off didnt your mother ever tell you "it is not what you say, it is how you say it"?

I have no problem with other people posting their feedback, that is what this board is about. But you came across, in your post, acting like I was personally attacking you. And this was not my intentions, I was simply giving the OP different scenarios of what could happen. Which is also part of this board, not everyone is going to feel the same. I would have had no problem with your post if it came across differently but to me it was SCREAMING with attitude, like I was accusing you of something. And if this is how you took it, I am very sorry as that was not my intentions.

I was not saying that what you do is wrong, just giving my opinion on this situation. I guess we can add this to the list, right along with wet spot, that some people worry about it and some dont.

:tiptoe:

Well GL to the OP I hope you figure out something that YOU are happy about.

Ok first off didnt your mother ever tell you "it is not what you say, it is how you say it"?

Does your mother post on forums? That saying goes out the window when posting on forums.

I think you need to learn not to read too much attitude into posts since you might not be sure what the person is meaning or how it is being said. ;)

Does your mother post on forums? That saying goes out the window when posting on forums.

I think you need to learn not to read too much attitude into posts since you might not be sure what the person is meaning or how it is being said. ;)

Actually it has even more meaning when you are posting on forums. You should be even more careful what you say/how you say it because they are not around you to hear your voice or to see your facial expressions to know for sure how you are meaning things.

And in my first post I said correct me if I am wrong, which you did but then you gave even more attitude, which I think is just unnecessary. I am sorry if I took it the wrong but that is how I took it.

Well I guess we should just agree to disagree. :wink2:

And again sorry if I took it the wrong way but that is why I said correct me if I am wrong.

There's worse things in life than butt ugly melt pools......now can we all just kiss and make up........please:p

Its O.k. KoalaGirl. I never was mad and there's no hard feelings on my part. Plus, I'm not kissing her, I don't know where her mouth has been. :laugh2: