Melt pool & Beeswax

Here goes another question that seems like I should know the answer to...I have some plain 415 soy from last dec. batch and I'm still trying to use it. I did the last two candle pours, both with about 8.5% FO and slight color and a HTP 126 wick. Now for the weird part. One I added 2% beeswax and the other is plain soy. I am drowning the wick in plain soy, but the one with beeswax is making a meltpool. I always thought the additives and beeswax if anything made the wax harder. Any answers? TIA. Beth

Not actually. Usually an additive in a small amount is not going to affect things one way or the other IMO. Sometimes, and additive actually HELPS the burning - especially in soy (Vicky says BW helps straight soy - like cottonseed - somewhow "stabilizes" it).

Here's a test I did, and was surprised to find out that FO sometimes actually HELPS wax burn easier - just the opposite of what one would think.

http://www.candletech.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=veggiewax;action=display;num=1110147088;start=0#0

Just shows the importance of testing.

Henry is right the small percent we use of additives a lot of times help the burn. Straight soy on it own really not stable it does just to many weird things on it own like grow, tunnel, frost, have that horrible billowing look after the burn that can come right up over the wick and a few more very unusual things.

Henry is right there are a few FO out there that help the burn just like a few make it almost impossible to burn. But you can put those same FO in paraffin and not have wicking issues.

Henry is right there are a few FO out there that help the burn just like a few make it almost impossible to burn.

Ain't that the truth! I made one of those wallmart hearts earlier this year and used purple dye and a strong lavendar FO - never could get it to burn right :(

I'm only guessing, but it could be that the straight soy wick is pulling too much fuel by capillary action and drowning itself. The higher meltpoint beeswax might be slowing down things in the burn to stabilize the reaction. Or it could be something completely chemically related, and judging from the mass spectrometer report on beeswax, it could be who knows what.