How do you test your tarts?

serenamarie

I agree... I asked a question on here some time ago if something like that was possible because I saw a website where they claimed their melts will last a week.

To answer the original question... I test each new scent I make and keep track of how long it lasts. I also give them to my Mom to test for me and we compare notes.

I'll test my tart for the full day. By the end of the second day the scent is gone. Wish mine would last a week. That's one reason I have started doing reed diffusers because for me the scent sure last a lot longer. TMO. :yay:

Rae

I can smell mine quite well after several days of 24/7. It's my customers that tell me 5-7 days. Of course.. some fragrances burn off quicker than others.. and it depends on the heat under them.. but as a general rule.. my customers love the long lasting nature of my melts.

I know mine don't last that long, even Yankee doesn't claim that. I think they say theirs last 8 hours?

I can still smell mine the next day but they aren't nearly as strong and I use 1.5oz. of fo per lb for tarts. I think that's pretty standard.

This is similar to my tarts, they are very strong the first day, but the second day they are definitely milder. I'd love for mine to last 5 to 7 days.

A lot depends on the heat underneth. I have a warmer with a 40 watt bulb right under the pan. By third day not smelling much. Same tart in another warmer.. still a 40 watt but not as close to the pan.. get longer scent. The warmers with a 25 watt give the longest scent. My customers are the ones getting the longer burn. Don't think their noses tune out as quickly as mine. As long as they're happy.. I don't care. I use paraffin and quality oils from all over.. nothing special.

btw.. it was yankee's quality [or lack of it] that got me into candle making. I hope I passed their standards long ago.

A lot depends on the heat underneth. I have a warmer with a 40 watt bulb right under the pan. By third day not smelling much. Same tart in another warmer.. still a 40 watt but not as close to the pan.. get longer scent. The warmers with a 25 watt give the longest scent. My customers are the ones getting the longer burn. Don't think their noses tune out as quickly as mine. As long as they're happy.. I don't care. I use paraffin and quality oils from all over.. nothing special.

btw.. it was yankee's quality [or lack of it] that got me into candle making. I hope I passed their standards long ago.

That's the hard part... not knowing what type of warmer your customers are using, there's so many available (good and bad).

I can't always trust my nose, which is why I get people to help me test. When I think a scent has a poor throw I give it to others to test and they seem to usually think it smells great (darn candle nose).

I'm thinking about starting to mix a little paraffin with my soy. I'm hoping it will help some with smudging I get in my cello bags, and maybe make them a little stronger? :)