preservative question

xixo

I like making salt/sugar scrubs, lotions, etc. for my use, and occasionally my sister or a friend will purloin something they see, so I want preservatives in them. I've gotten a lot of diff ones - Germaben II E, Germaben II, Optiphen, Suttocide, Phenonip...

The idiot question is, where can I learn which one goes in what? Each has a description of what it's good for, but like, my scrubs are oils. Do I use one for oils, or one for water since my wet hand goes in it? Is there a rule of thumb, like, this one's best for soaps...this for lotions, etc.? Thanks~

ISP has a preservative selection guide on their site:

http://online1.ispcorp.com/en-US/Pages/overview.aspx?BU=Personal%20Care

Choose preservatives on the left side menu, then choose one of the preservatives you have on hand and go to that product's info page. The available brochures are listed on the right below the description. You have to register to be able to download it.

That's a nice site, thanks. However, it has pretty much the same descriptions as what I've already read elsewhere.

My question is more, I suppose, when two products, or a combo of products, will do a similar function, is there anything showing one's better than another? Example: Suttocide A, when used in conjunction with LiquaPar Oil versus Germaben II-E alone. Or am I making too big a concern over it all?

If you know the function of each preservative ie, used for products made with water, versus products made without water, then you have a grasp of what each preservative does.

The only other consideration is , if you are making a product with goat's milk, then you need to add along with your other preservative a food presevative like EDTA.

Look in the recipe section also, see what other crafter are using in thier products.

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21760 Also go here.

Did you look at the Preservative Selection .pdf on the ISP site? It lists each type of product like o/w emulsion, anhydrous, etc and under the heading, the preservatives they recommend. From there, it's up to personal preference and everyone has their own opinion on why they use one or the other.

I spend alot of time on manufacturer sites researching and reading about ingredients and happened across it one day. I'm a geek. :laugh2:

ISP actually had a nice one page chart at one time, but I never thought to save it and couldn't find it anymore. Preservatives are tough. Everyone has a personal opinion...some don't care about parabens, some think they are evil, and the same goes for other types of preservatives. I know from experience...by the time you've read everyone else's opinion, you're more confused than when you started! :laugh2: