Smallest Batch Size for Trial

kebrown

I just received my order of pigments and fragrances and I want to experiment with trying different recipes to determine which ones I like best. What is the smallest batch size you can recommend for trials? I have two adjustable log molds so I can set the length based on batch weight. I will be experimenting with both cold process and hot process.

Thanks in advance...:)

The smaller your test batch, the more accurate you need to be with your measurements. My typical test batch is 3 lbs. That's total weight, not just oils and/or butters. That amount of soap will also give you enough to try on yourself, family and friends. The more people who can test your soap for you, the better because everyones skin is different.

If you are extremely accurate, you can go much smaller. I have one customer on this board whom I made a 1 bar mold for. I know this person to be extremely precise but for most of my other customers, 3 lbs is usually the smallest mold I receive orders for.

I have done 1lb batches but only measuring in grams and being very careful. If you are only trying to test colors. I'd go with 1lb (measured in grams) or 2lb and then divide into smaller batches for color testing. I read somewhere that someone does this in paper cups and can test 10 or more color/scents at a time.

I have started my first batch. I opted for a 1-pound trial. I have a very accurate scale. However I used the ounce scale instead of the gram. I will use the gram scale on the next batch. I plan on making 2 or 3 trial batches today. I am doing a HP batch first. So far so good. I reached trace and now have the crock pot on low. I added 1 tsp of titanium dioxide after I reached trace and blended it in with my stick mixture. The color looks bright white.

I made two hot process trial 1 pound batches yesterday. I recorded all the pertinent information. I made a peach fragrance batch and a green musk fragrance batch. The peach batched needed more fragrance but the musk came out just right. See picture below. I used a crockpot on the first batch and yes it was dry around the edges and some was burned. So I used the oven method on the second batch at 195 degrees and had no heat issues. I am going to try two more 1 pound trials today. A coconut fragrance and a Blue Bell Ice cream fragrance.

Thanks again for the advice everyone,

Keith

soaptrial.jpg