CBA2, Cinnamon Stick, Dye, and Cottons

I was doing some tests after reading the problems that Holly and Fern were having with this FO because its one of the FOs I wanted to use for Xmas. So I poured a few candles as testers. I was throwing caution to the wind and testing dye load, a new FO, and new wicks. I learned a couple things and figured I'd post the results.

I used CBA2, my usual 2.5" containers, and 9% Cinnamon Stick (from CS) and both Red dye chips and Red liquid dye (also from CS). The wicks were both C80 cotton wicks from Peaks.

First, these wicks are great for cotton wicks. Very little shrooms compared to other cottons I used to use when I first started. I got shrooms only after at least three hours of burning and they were small. Seeing the amount of dye and FO I used not only did I expect horrible mushrooming but bad burns also.

Now for the photo. Same wick (C80), same wax (CBA2), same FO (CS Cinnamon Sticks at 9%). What differed was the dye. On the left is 11 drops of CS RED dye. On the right is FOUR chips of CS RED dye. So, I really loaded these up (amount of wax in each container was only 7 ounces). The pic shows a hot pink, but both are nearly an identical very deep red. The liquid is a bit darker than the chip dye one. They look pink because of the flash going off a couple inches away from the containers - so they are washed out.

Even though there is only one hotter wick than the C80 (an 85), I was sure with the amount of dye and the amount of an FO known to cause burn issues (Cinnamon is normally a "wick up" type FO from my readings), I had no problems burning the liquid dye candle. The chip dye one burned good at the start of each session but within an hour got a high flame and sooted. So I definitely need to back down a size or two. It seems, over all, that I'll be using normally a C70 in 2.5" containers, or a 75 in harder to wick formulas. I want to see how these and other testers will burn down in the containers - basically, will I get less flutter with these cottons than with my usual LXs.

What I learned was that for the same darkness level, the liquid dyes will inhibit burns more than the chips. So, if one has a harder to burn fragrance, switching to solid dye may prevent one from needing to "wick up". I also did another test using HUNTER GREEN dye liquid vs. chips and found similar results. This was in non-scented wax. It seemed the green inhibited flames more so than the red overall in my test.

The other item I learned was that my past problem was definitely due to trimming the wicks too short. I had no problem burning these candles at all. It was NOT the fault of the cottons themselves.

Finally, I was expecting all sorts of frost with this amount of red dye and fragrance type and amount. I got zero in both containers! I do get a very light slight patch of frost on post burns, but I do mean light - you have to look very close (about 6" away) and its only around the wick - its definitely not something that would show up in a pic.

I also assume that the frost would vary with the FO - different cinnamons giving different results (I wish I still had WYW Cinnamon Stick - its my favorite - but also expensive for me).

HTH someone.

post-98-139458385489_thumb.jpg

Hi Henry,

Thanks for the test results. You lucky duck! You know it probably has to do with the type of soy too, because when I made a candle with the same cinnamon (the Scented Bean's Cinnamon stick) in the Cargill C-3 it did not get even half as much frosting as the CB-3. I think it is a combination of dye, oil and soy. I used liquid dyes. Your candles look pretty. I like those jars. It also looks like the soy is burning nicely off the sides, especially for a one wicker. I need to read through your post again -- just got home and read it real fast. :)

P.S. At least the Frostop has solved my problem! What a relief! Now, if I can fix the invisible airpockets so I don't have to do either a poke and repour or a poke and zap. :tongue2: I can't stand it! Way tooooooooo time consuming! I will end up working too hard for the amount of money I hope to get back. :P