any perfumers here?

I am wanting to make a perfume with hypnotic poison type fragrance oil. I will be purchasing perfumers alcohol.

question:

1. what percentages do I need to use of both

2. should I add glycerin, and at what percentage

3. according to snowdrift, EO's need to be aged then added to the alcohol, since it's an FO do you add to aclohol and use right away, or do I need to age it in the alcohol?

I will be making 8 oz total to start. Thanks for help before hand!

I think they want you to give essential oil BLENDS the opportunity to commingle once you combine them. That wouldn't be an issue with an FO which was blended long ago...

From Snowdrift Farms (http://www.snowdriftfarm.com/form_perfumes.html)

you can get the recommended levels of FO and diluent. Just above the stuff that told you to "age" the EO blends.

Why would you add glycerin?

I use the perfumers alcohol from Snowdrift and really like it. I have read somewhere about using glycerin also. I think it help with the "staying power" of it. Probably the oil helped it to soak into your skin better? Don't really know cause I haven't tried it.

I use the perfumers alcohol from Snowdrift and really like it. I have read somewhere about using glycerin also. I think it help with the "staying power" of it. Probably the oil helped it to soak into your skin better? Don't really know cause I haven't tried it.

Yes, staying power, that's what it was! I can't remember where I read it, or what percentage. Back to more research.

FCO sounds like it would make more of a body spray. Perfumers alcohol is what I would use for what I would like to accomplish, but a good idea if going that route.

Why would you use alcohol?

I use 30% fo, 70% FCO. Done!

I'm with you. This produces a strong mix that rocks. I've been told by a co-worker who loves a blend that I do (very similar to this) that it's so much stronger than perfume.

plus you can put it in a roller ball or those little perfume vials.

fractionated coconut oil. I think I am going to give alcohol and fco a try to see which I like best.

I think, from what I have managed to come by, you would use 1-5% glycerin to preserve the essential oil. I would assume that you could use it with the fco as well.

I still need to order, draaaaaging my feet!

I'm with you. This produces a strong mix that rocks. I've been told by a co-worker who loves a blend that I do (very similar to this) that it's so much stronger than perfume.

plus you can put it in a roller ball or those little perfume vials.

Does the FO stay mixed with the FCO? I have tried FCO & silicone and the FO seperated out. TIA.

caramel, what I have found in my research is that you can mix it with jojoba or grapeseed. It really depends on the weight of the oil with how well it will mix. And, you would not want a carrier oil that is heavy smelling itself.

Since oils go rancid, you have the possibility of your mix going rancid- a preservative might be an option when mixing with carrier oils, or mixing in smaller batches.

Mixing with perfumers alcohol will produce a perfume that perserves itself, but because alcohol evaporates, it will not last as long on the skin. This is where glycerin is supposed to help.

Wow, it is really tough to find this info (can't wait to figure out EO combos!)- some sort of secret society or something! lol!

Ordering tomorrow....Can't wait to try my new scents!

Secret society is right! *L*

So, the carrier oils I have include Vit. E (I also bought some). I got a variety (GS, JJ, Avacado, Sesame, AK) and I also have some glycerin (for a different project).

Am I understanding you correctly about adding glycerin to the oils or the alcohol?

Like you, I have a time of it trying to find dependable info as a starting point. I wanted to use alcohol, but decided oil was better.

Thanks!

Vitamin E- nope. Try the jojoba. Glycerin wouldn't provide much benefit in a carrier oil mix, the only thing that I can think of is it might help it mix troublesome fo-oil combos. Maybe start with a really small batch and let it sit for a couple days to see if separates, then add glycerin at 1% intervals to see if that helps. But, not much help here since I have not tried it!

Tell me your results, inquiring minds want to know :confused:

It will take awhile for my items to get here, but I will surely post the results.