Charge for testers?

Jeana

Right now I am getting ready to sell some colored lip balm to a small wholesale account. I think it is best to have a tester for each color. They sell much better when people try it.

But I am not sure if I should charge for the tester, or if I should throw them in. It isn't a big order. If it was, I don't think I would hesitate to throw them in.

I'm not talking about samples to get accounts to buy. I wouldn't charge for those either.

I know small item testers like lotion, lip balm, and perfumes, are likely to "walk away". I guess I am wondering if testers are just given out, are sellers more likely to take advantage and not keep track of them?

If it's a small account, I would charge them for testers. If you wholesale a lip balm at $2.50, for example, sell them testers for $1.25 per color/scent/flavor or per order.

Free samples are becoming a thing of the past. Many manufacturers allow purchases of samples for 1/2 of wholesale cost, provided you buy a certain number of units.

We base our testers on the size of the order. Every retailer gets at least one free lotion tester to start. The testers sell the products and it has been proven hands down. We do a display that also has 5 testers in it plus all the product....they pay for the display(wooden) and we offset the display price by giving them the testers (testers are figured at retail on the display) A display set up is over $500...the display is designed to hold 5 testers...one of each scent in the display. It is a package deal. If they don't want a display...they then get a free tester by dollor amount bought. Example $100-$200 is 1 free tester, 200-300 is 2 free testers, and so on. Trust me....if they can try it and it is an awesome product...they buy it.

I do 2 things. I sell them the 1.5oz for samples. Or, I tell them that they candles can be swapped out, if the candles are in excellent shape when traded. This works well with stores that are close enough to deliver. They swap out a lot, to keep their stock looking different. The far away stores, just get samples, or trust my description. Most just order and seem to be happy with all the candles, so far. :yay: