cd and cdn?

I haven't tested CDs and CDNs from the same supplier, size-to-size.

The wicks themselves are identical except for the treatment and priming. As far as the appearance - that would depend upon the priming wax used... veggie wax or paraffin, high temp or low temp, etc. For a really accurate test, one should test each size with the same priming wax. Again, there is no difference in the actual wick - only the treatment and priming wax applied to the wick after it's made.

I use CDs for sizes smaller than CDN 8 because I can't find smaller CDNs. I did find there was a big jump between CD 7 and CDN 8. I would expect that the CDNs would burn slightly more efficiently than do CDs, not less. Judging from results others have reported over the years, one might need to wick down a size from CDs to CDNs. While the distributors lump CDs and CDNs together in their reccomendation charts, the sizes do not burn the same. The charts are only good as guidelines - they cannot replace careful testing all the way to the end of the candle.

All candle wicking is soaked in some stuff to make it burn nicely instead of going pooft when you light it up. Sometimes the exact same wick is treated in more than one way to create different versions that work better in different applications. That's the deal with CD vs. CDN.

Stuff like stearic acid or certain fragrance oils in the candle mixture can cause wicks to deteriorate too quickly or otherwise perform badly when burning. The treatment that CDN gets helps it work better in these circumstances. You may see suppliers selling LX wick with the NST2 treatment, which is the same idea.

None of this has anything to do with the priming wax. The wax coating is not part of the wick. It's added by a distributor or supplier as a service to customers.

The way a wick performs is a combination of the wick design and the candle design. Until you put the two together, there's no telling what will happen. There can be a dramatic performance difference between CD and CDN or no difference at all, depending on the circumstances. You can't generalize about it. Same goes for LX with and without the NST2 treatment.

Wick test data doesn't tell you a whole lot about what to expect, because the test conditions have nothing to do with your candle. CD 14 is a bigger wick than CD 12. To know how they work in your application, you just have to try them.

What do you mean "not treated"? The treatment applied to CDNs is done at the factory (click the linked text to learn more about it - scroll down to "The Purpose of Wick Treatment"). If you mean you have some rolled CD wicking that is unprimed, you can purchase wicking wax in high or low temp paraffin or veggie wax. Much easier to purchase wicks already primed with sustainer bases...

For veggie wax candles, use veggie priming wax - low for soy, high for palm. For paraffin, I have no idea 'cause I don't make paraffin candles.

All candle wicking is soaked in some stuff to make it burn nicely instead of going pooft when you light it up. Sometimes the exact same wick is treated in more than one way to create different versions that work better in different applications. That's the deal with CD vs. CDN.

Stuff like stearic acid or certain fragrance oils in the candle mixture can cause wicks to deteriorate too quickly or otherwise perform badly when burning. The treatment that CDN gets helps it work better in these circumstances. You may see suppliers selling LX wick with the NST2 treatment, which is the same idea.

None of this has anything to do with the priming wax. The wax coating is not part of the wick. It's added by a distributor or supplier as a service to customers.

The way a wick performs is a combination of the wick design and the candle design. Until you put the two together, there's no telling what will happen. There can be a dramatic performance difference between CD and CDN or no difference at all, depending on the circumstances. You can't generalize about it. Same goes for LX with and without the NST2 treatment.

Wick test data doesn't tell you a whole lot about what to expect, because the test conditions have nothing to do with your candle. CD 14 is a bigger wick than CD 12. To know how they work in your application, you just have to try them.

OMG, I am a bit scared now... So what wicks would you recommend to test for 3" - 4" jars? I am testing and my ECO wicks are not working, so I am moving on to buying CD wicks, but they also have CDNs (I use 464).

Actually, I was serious...:confused: many folks go for the "upscale" candle market and put together lovely container candles in really nice boxes that make them more "giftable". The candles inside don't get as shopworn and the containers are better protected from breaking. I am wondering if the packaging would also help protect container candles from "wet spots" as well... If so, that would be yet another "plus" for packaging because it would increase the "shelf life" of the product... Any of you candle "boxers" out there have any feedback on this? :)

OMG, I am a bit scared now... So what wicks would you recommend to test for 3" - 4" jars? I am testing and my ECO wicks are not working, so I am moving on to buying CD wicks, but they also have CDNs (I use 464).

Like Stella said, I'd try them both. Attempting to design candles with a crystal ball doesn't work. Testing is the way to go. :)

But one thing I wouldn't waste my life on is single-wicking a soy container over 3 inches.