Some chatter about this?

Scented

I've been reading about it. I think it's just plain stupid. The economy is already in bad shape (like I even needed to remind anyone of that) and if this law passes, it is just going to get worse very quickly with all the people who are going to lose their jobs/shops/etc. Well, actually... Maybe it isn't going to get worse if this passes, since there's going to be hardly anything left for people to worry about buying... Hmm... :rolleyes2

There's a thread over on Etsy listing all the types of jobs that are going to be lost over this law passing - since most people don't have thousands of dollars to spend on this sort of 'testing' and most of them plan on just closing shop. Pattern makers, graphic artists, fabric cutters; lots of things that you really don't think about, but that are an important part of making these businesses run smoothly.

I think the whole thing is just one of the dumbest things I've ever heard, and I get so irritated just thinking about it. :mad:

Well I didn't know about until I saw this come across one of the list serves I'm on, but I guess that just wiped out any dressed bears and maybe dipped bears altogether?

However, I think that while there's some merit to the law, which some are saying has already passed, these lawmakers have absolutely no clue how many people they are going to affect. It's here to get people to write and complain and state a case to their lawmakers.

Pretty soon all home businesses are going to be done I think.

I think we need a clarification from someone that speaks 'governmenteze'.

First, children's products are defined as designed to be used or could be resonable anticipated to be used by children under 12. I think that leaves out the bears.

Second, it relates specifically to items that are already covered under the child safety section of the consumer product safety commission. That would be cribs, walkers, bouncers, toys with small parts, etc.

No where in that law did I read anything about clothing or blankets or anything else a home crafter might make.

I read both articles concerning this rather quickly and didn't really see anything stated about hand-crafted sorts of things. Imagine the impact on the whole country as well as other countries. Seems to me like there are/should be regulations in the plants that manufacture yarns, fabrics, crafting items that clear them of having lead or other substances before we the crafters use them..even though most things are made in china anyway. I too would like more clarification on the logistics of this whole thing.

I just read some of the threads on this over at ETSY and geesh what an impact on everything for children under 12....I hope the government realizes what a can of worms they have opened and decide to clarify things to a meaningful, more sense making law. School taxes will skyrocket with all the things kids under 12 might start gnawing on! I'm all for keeping lead and other substances out of the hands/mouths of kids but this law is looking a bit extreme.

I have been following it on Craftlister.com. Yes it will have a huge impact on many homemade crafts. It will put many out of business.

This was the email I received today from them, It is only part of it but it lists where you can find out more info and join a group to help fight it,

"ALERT! Federal Law will make selling CHILDREN\'S products a felony if not LABELED as tested lead free, starting Feb 10th.

Most people even in the industry have not heard yet. Please make this fact known!

Naturally, there are movements under way to modify the new law, HR4040 The 2008 Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act ( CPSIA ).

There is now a \'Group\' online here on CraftLister.com at: http://www.craftlister.com/CPSIA/

ANYONE interested in receiving continued updates on HR4040 by email on this matter SHOULD JOIN THAT GROUP! "