So I was told this......about HP Soaps

simplyorganic

........... that when you make HP Soaps, "the base oils get heated and much of the beneficial 'live' properties of oils is reduced or destroyed".

I mainly, well 90% of the time make HP bar soaps (for about 5 years now) and i've NEVER heard this before. Maybe this person is right or maybe wrong, I dunno so i'm coming to the MAJOR pro's on this one. I could have sworn the difference was cure time and the creative control in designs was the main difference in them both. Now i'm feeling like a dork b/c I never learned that tid-bit of information.

IF that is the case, then what's the purpose of doing HP soaps, if your not going to be able to reap the benefits of it due to the properties of it being cooked away? Wouldn't it be a waste of money? :confused: :tiptoe:

Can someone shed a little light on this for me? Help me understand this a little better!

Thanks in advance!

What is "beneficial 'live' properties of oils" supposed to mean?

:confused: :undecided I don't know Camay, that's the part that threw me for a loop.

As I put in the dish, this person ALSO gave me a link to a book that makes that claim http://www.soapnaturally.org on page 75-76. (Soap Naturally by Patrizia Garezena and Marina Tadiello)

Well i'm glad Carebear cleared it up!

carebear, that is my thought as well! I have read this about hp, but my thought is, if the end result is saponification which occurs in both methods, oil properties do change- into soap, doesn't mean that they lose their benefits.

I make hp exclusivley, I wouldn't change just because one persons opinion. I have even found ways to make it very similar looking to cp, I just get it faster!

oh, and i think that beneficial oil properties mean - and i am making something up.... say an oil has a property to lower blood pressure used in its raw state, but when cooked it has no benefit at all. That has nothing to do with soap and soap has nothing to do with eating (I hope!) although, your soaps look really yummy:)

So, agan my vote is BS!

Could they mean things like Vitamin E and other 'healing' beneficial properties?

I don't know about the validity of it all, but even if it's true to an extent my take on it is that SOME benefit is better than NO benefit right? Of course putting some Emu oil in your soap is not exactly akin to rubbing it directly on your skin, but it's STILL better than not at all. So what's the harm in trying to put healthy and good for you stuff in some soap. :confused: They jes need to chill, lol.

Wash off products aren't much benefit at all anyway...... period! It's typically a marketing "issue" when touting a "specialty" ingredient in a product that will be washed off moments after it's applied unlike moisturizers and serums... add them sparingly!

• 4 weeks later...

So, if doing HP would kill the live properties, then so would a CP soap that gels whether fully or partially. You really couldn't win with that.

That' being said, if I want to preserve some medicinal qualities of something, I'll add it after the cook. Like, for instance, cocoa butter, coconut milk, goat's milk fresh (small amount) or powdered, honey, herbs, the like.

That's also why EOs are put in after the cook as well.

So, if doing HP would kill the live properties, then so would a CP soap that gels whether fully or partially. You really couldn't win with that.

Exactly! I don't see where it would make any difference. Besides (and just my HO here), soap isn't a leave on product, so the benefits wouldn't matter much anyways. :)

All the talk about leave on products... I would never put anything on my skin, leave on product or not, that is made from petroleum ingredients or petroleum byproducts or harsh chemicals of any kind. Putting proven cancer causing ingredients on my skin, even for the shortest of times, is playing with fire. Skin is permeable and anyone trying to turn my opinion on this will get a bloody forehead from beating their head against my wall. :cheesy2: