Experimenting with tins, need wax advice

I got some tins to experiment with, and I want to just use up the wax I have on hand, just to get a feel for how I might like working with the tins. Problem is, some of this wax I've had for a while, and I can't find information on working with it! Some of it, I bought off the classies a while ago and I'm not even sure if it's pillar wax or container wax or what. Here's what I've got on hand:

GW 449

KySoy 125

Bluegrass soy container wax

GW 423 (marked as pillar wax)

GW 444

Something marked as Plain 435 soy/cotton

Any information on how hot to pour, what's container and what's not, etc., would be greatly appreciated. I've tried searching, but may have overlooked some things, because I didn't find anything that looked helpful. Thanks! :)

GW 449 (dont know)

KySoy 125 (container pour when slushy about 90 to 95)

GW 444 (container I hated it)

Something marked as Plain 435 soy/cotton (I think this is alot like the KY 125 and is container wax pour slushy)

HTH

tootie

I have only used the GW444 -

I actually like it.. use it for 16 oz colonials so far, but I have some tins I'd like to pour into..

Directions from Peak say heat to 180 to 190 degrees, add color and fragrance, pour between 130 and 140 degrees. MP is 120 to 125.

I have pretty smooth tops on my containers with some minor seepage of oil (I think it's oil lol) using 8% FL. It says it can hold in excess of 10%.

I have had great success with ST both hot and cold.

Wicks.. Im still in testing phase.. have tried the RRD 47s (double wicked - way too hot) and 50s, (single wicked - too much hangup). Next step is double wicking with RRD 40 and a single wick with an RRD 55. If those don't satisfy I am going to try the LX series next.

HTH :)

I got some tins to experiment with, and I want to just use up the wax I have on hand, just to get a feel for how I might like working with the tins. Problem is, some of this wax I've had for a while, and I can't find information on working with it! Some of it, I bought off the classies a while ago and I'm not even sure if it's pillar wax or container wax or what. Here's what I've got on hand:

GW 449

KySoy 125

GW 444

Something marked as Plain 435 soy/cotton

Any information on how hot to pour, what's container and what's not, etc., would be greatly appreciated. I've tried searching, but may have overlooked some things, because I didn't find anything that looked helpful. Thanks! :)

Bluegrass is GB125 use the same as KY 125 and 435

If your just messing and just want to use up the wax I would mix equal of all. Should be a nice wax, or just leave out the pillar. Mix all first and see what you get, bet you like it and as far as pouring. I would just go ahead and pour hot since sides don't matter. You might have to mess with smoothing the tops a little. Just depends on your way of looking at it, pour slushy and wait or spent time at the end....

Thanks for the input, y'all!

I ended up doing a little batch of 4-oz. tins with the C-3 I have on hand and had forgotten about (good because if it works out well, I can get it here locally). I heated to 170 degrees and let it cool, probably longer than I should have, because I ended up pouring at about 110 degrees (way cooler than what the guidelines recommend, oops!). I'm trying one of the LX wicks (I'll have to look at the package to see which ones), and right now they're setting up. The tops look nice and smooth at this point (and if I have wet spots, I can't see them, because I used tins!).

Sharon, so the pouring cool is just to try to keep the sides nicer? Good to know. It was a pain waiting for it to cool - I'm used to tarts, and with my wax from Greenleaf, I pour hot, no waiting! I may try what you suggested, just mixing up what I've got on hand. My luck, they'll turn out great and I'll want to duplicate the results. :laugh2:

So I'm letting the tins set up, and after they've sat for a bit, I'll do a test burn. I'll take pics so y'all can tell me if things look OK, or if there are things I might need more work/testing on. If I lucked out and got a winner the first time, I'll be pleasantly surprised. :laugh2:

• 4 weeks later...

OK, here are my pics - y'all tell me what you think, if you don't mind.

Not too long after I poured them:

100_2047.jpg

After they'd set up:

100_2051.jpg

Just lit:

100_2052.jpg

After burning for about an hour:

100_2055.jpg

After burning for about two hours:

100_2058.jpg

The throw was awesome with the C-3, that's for sure. I thought these burned pretty well. Is there anything I'm missing, or did they maybe actually turn out OK?