Grossly underweight products marketed at actual weights

Scented

Questions for folks.

Does anyone here use Perfumer's base, artisan's base, cologne formulator's blend from Snowdrift Farms or the perfumer's base from Synergy?

My question is ... since the bulk of my buy was in 2008 with no reply or response from the companies ... if you bought from them were you also shorted a minimum of 2 oz of product regardless of size?

And do you find that buying from someone else who carries these products result in the same type of shortage, yet they charge for 32 oz., a gallon, a pound, whatever?

Well everything else seems to be at correct weight, based on initial gross weight not coming in less than the actual weight posted on the website, but every single perfumers, artisan or the other alcohol all came in under weight and within .05 of three different scales. In other words, figure in a tare and they were really grossly underweight.

So if the alcohols are things you are interested in, I'm not suggesting buying from Snowdrift or Synergy ... or you could and see how grossly underweight they are and we can compare lol.

Okay.. but then who else sells it?

That one I don't know. Maybe the chemistry store? I'm just not sure.

Sock, if it were sold by volume instead of weight, why not say so on their website or at least have answered an e-mail? The gallon size I have has plenty of room to come close to the pound it's at least short by so not sure that selling by volume was an option either.

The only other thing I can think of is evaporation. Maybe it weighs correctly when they weigh it, but it evaporates quickly without being properly sealed? Does that make sense?

I find it very curious to know why there is no answer email unless they're at a loss for words as well?

The gallon size I have has plenty of room to come close to the pound it's at least short by so not sure that selling by volume was an option either.

WOW. :shocked2: Now that's bad.

I'm appreciative when you guys post info like this. I've marked quite a few vendors off my wish-list (WSP, Jody's, now Snowdrift, probably a few more that I'm not recalling right now), so if we keep supporting the more reputable vendors maybe they'll be the ones staying in business.

I'm not questioning it to keep people buying from them. I'm just wondering if other people have the problem with the alcohol bases.

I could see evap, being a reason, but I'd rather it not be the result of what happens if you don't use something for say five months. I remember not being thrilled to be shorted on the Snowdrift order for those bases, because I wanted to try one of her recipes, but man being short on the order didn't allow me to make what I wanted to make, so I ordered from Synergy.

While Sheila was probably headed to the Texas Soapmakers Convention, just couldn't imagine getting something about 16 ozs short ... Have stored in cool dry place. Don't know what more I could do other than not buy that particular stuff.

I know that both those sites say 32 oz or whatever, but even a full bottle is underweight by a couple of ounces. Maybe they should revisit their weights or pricing system? I don't know. I do think what they list for weights in the alcohol bases is inaccurate.