Slow or gung ho? How did you start?

PeachyClean

My very first post after lurking here for weeks! I was just curious as to how most of you started into B&B (or soap). I tried making bath bombs a few weeks ago and since then I have been researching like mad and now have a HUGE list of things I want to try making - lip balm, bath salts, scenting & coloring bases, body spray, m&p, lotion bars - the list seems endless. At this point I'd need to wait for the tax refund check to be able to afford everything. :embarasse Oh, and all of this would just be for personal use or for gifts (right now). And of course DH insists that I'd be spending hundreds for supplies to make this stuff when I could probably by it cheaper in the store. Sigh.

So, how did you guys start - small or with several products - and which products did you start with?

Just hoping I'm not the only person obsessing before they even start!

Lisa

It's easy to get addicted to this and go over-board. But its best to take your time, perfect your recipes, and learn everything you can about making B&B. Remember too that some stuff will have a shelf life so if you over-buy, you could be wasting your money if stuff goes bad. But no matter what, be prepared to spend some money. This stuff ain't cheap to do. But have fun and enjoy it. That's the easy part. :)

After 3-4 years making paraffin pillars, the B&B bug hit!! I started with M&P, then moved on to lotion bars, then body butters. Threw lip balms in there somewhere too. Just started playing with sugar scrubs & lotions this past year. I don't sell the B&B stuff, just make for personal use, gifts to friends and of course, force some experiments on swappers!!

It seems that it doesn't matter where you start because that 1st item is nothing more than a gateway-drug to the next :laugh2:

I started with making goat milk soaps as a hobby since I raise goats. Then came the desitre to make everything under the sun. I have had to back off since I cannot keep up with the demand for my goat milk lotions so I am dropping everything except CP soap, liquid soap, lip balms, lotions and body butters. Now I have the desire to learn to make pillars and I am collecting equipment to do that. I have perfected votives which I love. I seem to have to continue doing something new.

Oh and I bought all of the ingredients to make a synthetic detergent shampoo bar. It never ends/.

It's easy to get addicted to this and go over-board. But its best to take your time, perfect your recipes, and learn everything you can about making B&B. Remember too that some stuff will have a shelf life so if you over-buy, you could be wasting your money if stuff goes bad. But no matter what, be prepared to spend some money. This stuff ain't cheap to do. But have fun and enjoy it. That's the easy part. :)

Wow. I didn't even think about the idea of shelf life. Excellent point. Guess maybe I should pick one or two things and work on perfecting those. Although, I think it's the FOs and EOs that are gonna get me! Way too many to choose from...:tongue2:

I started slow and then.. bam want to do a million things at once! LOL. I buy alot from the classys and other sites. I try to buy small amounts of stuff at a time. I already have all the candle stuff but now getting into the bath and body stuff. I decided to sell things that I never used - and that way I use that money too. Dont go broke! LOL. Research your area and see what sells and go from there. But you know what.. have fun doing it!